Duration 24 Months
Application Close Date 30 Jun 2014
Program Australian Volunteers for International Development
Australian Partner Organisation Position Description
Strategic Planning Mentor & Advisor – Decentralisation to Municipality
• Use your strategic planning skills to go volunteering in beautiful Timor-Leste!
Bobonaro District Administration provides local governance for the Bobonaro District which is comprised of 6 sub districts, 50 villages and over 96,000 residents.
To improve service delivery and accountability to local communities, the Government of Timor-Leste will introduce a new tier of municipal government over the next five years.
The existing regional administrative jurisdictions of 13 Districts and 64 Sub-districts will merge to form 3-5 consolidated ‘municipalities’, with representative assemblies at the present district level.
As a result of this change, The Bobonaro District Administration is in need of a volunteer to mentor, support, provide advice and guidance to the Bobonaro District Administration and to work together with the staff to successfully navigate and implement the process of decentralisation and transition to becoming a municipality.
The successful volunteer will bring:
- Demonstrated experience in local government and public sector management – including at the strategic management, planning and administration levels.
- Demonstrated experience working at a strategic level within the process of governance and public sector reform.
- Experience working in public sector management in a developing world context. In decentralisation an advantage.
- Ability to explain analyses, concepts and processes simply and clearly and relate them directly to the local context.
- Language ability in Tetun, Bahasa Indonesia or Bahasa Malayu (willingness to learn essential)
- Demonstrated success in building the skills of others through formal and/or informal training and coaching.
- Demonstrated success in consulting with stakeholders and facilitating the work of others to achieve an agreed outcome.
Personal attributes must include the ability to cope with cultural isolation, a willingness to learn the local language and a good understanding and appreciation of the local lifestyle.
If you believe these attributes match your skillset and interest, apply now by following the steps on the attached assignment description.
For enquiries, please contact Elena Lopez on +61 3 9279 1857 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
You must be available to attend a pre-departure briefing in Melbourne on 24-26 September 2014.
We are only able to accept applications from Australian citizens, Australian permanent residents and New Zealand citizens resident in Australia.
The first step is a written application. Application instructions in detail, including important background information and guidance, are provided in the Position Description – click on the link above to download.
Please ensure that you include your full name and the name of the position you are applying for in your statement addressing selection criteria.
Read detailed instructions about how to apply here.
Apply : http://www.australianvolunteers.com/10532594-strategic-planning-mentor–advisor—decentralisation-to-municipality.aspx