Management Advisor – Asisténsia Legál ba Feto no Labarik (ALFeLa)
Location: Dili, Timor-Leste
Contract Duration: 1 Year 2015
Applications Close: 26 November 2014
1. About ALFeLa
Asisténsia Legál ba Feto no Labarik (Women and Children’s Legal Aid) is an independent and
impartial not-for-profit legal aid organisation, based in Timor-Leste and governed by the needs
of women and children in this country.
ALFeLa became an independent organisation in December 2012. Prior to this, it was a
transitional unit under the administration of the Judicial System Monitoring Programme. In 2013,
ALFeLa grew as a strong independent legal aid organisation.
ALFeLa has 27 staff and four offices in Dili, Suai, Baucau and Oecusse. With support from
donors such as the Australian Government, UNICEF, International Women’s Development
Agency, and HIVOS, we provide legal assistance to poor and vulnerable women and children
across Timor-Leste’s 13 districts.
ALFeLa is recruiting a Management Advisor to support its management team in implementing
ALFeLa’s programs, and provide strategic support and capacity-building to ensure ALFeLa’s
long term organizational sustainability.
2. Job description – Management Advisor
The Management Advisor will work closely with ALFeLa’s management team including the
Director, Program Manager, Coordinator and Finance Manager to provide support in relation to:
- Program management including preparing annual work plans, ensuring that ALFeLa meets
donor commitments, ensuring that ALFeLa delivers high quality programs and designing and
implementing effective monitoring and evaluation mechanisms;
- Project design, identifying appropriate funding sources, approaching potential donors and
- Financial management including monitoring expenditure against budgets, developing
cashflow forecasts, monthly financial reconciliation and negotiating budget realignments
- Management of ALFeLa human resources including developing position descriptions,
assisting with staff performance appraisals, capacity building, contracts, disciplinary
measures and management of staff salaries and benefits;
- Ensuring strong governance systems within ALFeLa including compliance with ALFeLa
constitution, regular board meetings and reports, preparing the annual report, establishing
clear membership policies and holding third annual general meeting of ALFeLa; and
- Technical skills in relation provision of legal assistance to vulnerable women and children or
other relevant technical skills such as social work, gender or child rights.
- The Management Advisor will be supervised directly by ALFeLa’s Director Merita Correia. The
advisor will be based in Dili, Timor-Leste, but must be willing to also work as necessary in
district offices in Suai, Baucau and Oecusse.
The advisor will be paid a monthly salary to be negotiated with ALFeLa.
The advisor will also be entitled to benefits as provided for in the Timor-Leste Labour Code, including an annual allowance, separation pay, sick leave, annual leave and special leave.
The advisor will be provided a communications allowance for telephone calls and will be reimbursed for work-related travel expenses.
4. Selection Criteria
It is expected that the advisor will have:
- Demonstrated experience in program design and grant writing for non-for-profit
organisations, including preparation of work plans, M&E plans and budgets;
- Demonstrated experience in program management, including monitoring budget expenditure,
donor reporting, monitoring and evaluation;
- Demonstrated work experience in legal, gender and/or human rights programs;
- Experience in providing training and capacity building in a cross-cultural context;
- Demonstrated commitment to human rights, particularly the rights of women and children;
- Knowledge of the history and conditions in Timor-Leste, including as they relate to genderequality, the formal justice sector and capacity within local civil society organisations.
The advisor should have a bachelor’s degree in law, international or community development,
social sciences or international relations.
The advisor is expected to have the following skills:
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English, with Tetum or Bahasa Indonesia
a definite advantage;
- Excellent written and oral analytical skills;
- Excellent interpersonal and cross-cultural skills;
- Demonstrated organizational abilities;
- Computer proficiency in word processing, spreadsheets, PowerPoint, email; and
Understanding of web press and basic web-design skills is an advantage.
5. How to Apply
To apply for this position applicants should send their CV and references together with a short
cover letter explaining how they meet the selection criteria to:
Merita Correia, Director ALFeLa firstname.lastname@example.org
Lisa Mortimer, Management Advisor [email@example.com]
Any queries in relation to this position should be directed to Lisa Mortimer at the above email or
by telephone +670 77609994
Applications close on 26 November 2014.