EARLY CHILDHOOD EDCUATION SPECIALIST /
INTERNATIONAL PRESCHOOL TEACHER
TERMS OF REFERENCE
Ba Futuru is a prominent local non-profit organization in Timor-Leste working the areas of conflict prevention, protection and education. Ba Futuru staff are renowned for their quality training skills and have provided educational training programs to more than 30,000 children, youth, teachers, parents and community leaders since 2004.
Ba Futuru is seeking a early childhood education professional with relevant expertise and experience in teaching preschool, ideally to children of various nationalities, for our Early Childhood Development Initiative (ECDI).
Ba Futuru started this initiative in October 2012. It consists of an early childhood education facility with a preschool open to Timorese and International children ages 3 to 6, and also includes trainings for parents, community members and educators of young children in Timor-Leste. With this, Ba Futuru promotes children’s holistic development and well-being based on play-based learning and a whole-child approach. Ba Futuru seeks to increase access and quality of early childhood education in Timor-Leste. To achieve these objective, Ba Futuru not only provides training to educators and care-takers, but is also involved in developing and improving public policies and programs in early childhood education. For more information on the school please see www.earlychildhoodfacility.org.
A primary part of this position is to teach morning lessons at Ba Futuru’s preschool. The preschool consists of Timorese and International full fee paying and scholarship students. The maximum capacity for the two classrooms is 30 students and the international preschool teacher will receive excellent support from Timorese teachers, teacher assistants and other staff. We aim to provide top quality education to the students while modeling to staff appropriate engagement with students, activity presentation and English language classes.
This position will also work with the Early Childhood Development Initiative-team consisting of various Timorese staff, and report directly to Ba Futuru’s International Program Manager and National Director. He/She will be responsible for developing and monitoring the quality of early childhood education provided in Ba Futuru’s Early Childhood Education Facility (which is both a preschool and a mentoring facility for external teachers receiving ECE training). Assistance will also be required for reviewing and/or writing publications, proposals and reports as required by donors and the organization itself and represent Ba Futuru as valuable and skilled partner in early childhood education in meetings and working groups with governmental and non-governmental organizations.
– Model top-notch teaching practices with children at Ba Futuru’s preschool, providing them with quality care and social, emotional and cognitive development
– Develop and monitor the quality of Ba Futuru’s early childhood education facility by providing constant supervision, capacity building and positive role modeling to engaged educators
– Develop and monitor the quality of Ba Futuru’s early childhood education training
– Develop trainings and workshops on topics of early childhood education and care
– Understand and work with the government and other stakeholders to overcome challenges related to early childhood education and development in Timor-Leste
– Manage school and project-related tasks
– Develop and/or review publications, proposals and reports for donors and parents
– Degree in Early Childhood Education, or relevant experience
– At least two years of relevant work experience in education
– Native English Speaker or Excellent English-skills
– Experience positively engaging parents of pre-school age children
– A commitment to Ba Futuru’s mission and values
– Ability to work effectively and efficiently as part of a multilingual and multicultural team
– Excellent leadership, interpersonal and relationship-building skills
– Ability to organize, prioritize, and manage time effectively
– Ability to troubleshoot, improvise and think strategically and creatively
– Ability to work independently and to facilitate collaboratively
– Willingness to work a flexible schedule and travel to rural areas when needed
– Good written and spoken communication skills
Other Preferred Skills (but not required):
– Work experience in a developing country, preferably in Timor-Leste
– Work experience in project coordination or preschool management
– Ba Futuru will provide the successful candidate with between $2,000-$4,000 USD salary per month depending on the relevant education and experience of the candidate.
Please submit a cover letter including details on salary requirements, a detailed description of your background in the above areas, and a CV, with contact information for three references to:
Ba Futuru, Attn: Sierra James, Co-Founder via email to email@example.com
CV should be no longer than three pages with no additional attachments. This position will remain open until filled, but Women and minorities are strongly encouraged to apply.