National Staff – Finance Manager
Mercy Corps is seeking an experienced and dynamic Finance Manager to join its’ growing team of development professionals, based in Dili
Mercy Corps is a leading global humanitarian agency working in more than 40 countries. With a network of over 4,000 experienced professionals, we partner with local communities to put bold ideas into action to help people recover from crises, overcome hardship and build better lives. Now, and for the future.
In Timor-Leste, Mercy Corps is working to:
- Improve nutrition and food and income security, by integrating nutrition approaches in market based agricultural development programming.
- Increase access to alternative energy options through our work facilitating the establishment of nation-wide networks of retailers for solar and clean cook stoves
- Increase access to agricultural input and advisory services by facilitating the establishment of a network of rural agricultural input providers
- Improve Land use management & decrease vulnerability to shocks and stresses to build resilient communities, through our pioneering work integrating economic development with DRR, and, mainstreaming our successful agro-forestry work throughout our portfolio
- Ensure financial inclusion through our work with community based savings and lending groups and partnerships with Micro Finance Institutions and local banks to bring financial options to rural Timorese
The Mercy Corps Finance Department is responsible for all financial functions in Timor-Leste, including accounting, payments and banking, payroll, budgeting, financial reporting, and grant financial management and compliance. The Mercy Corps Finance Department ensures compliance with donor regulations as well as Mercy Corps’ internal policies and procedures. In its role as a support to the Program Department, the Finance Department provides timely reports and assistance to the Country Director and the Program team to ensure that financial resources are used efficiently and effectively.
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
The Finance Manager is Mercy Corps senior finance position in Timor Leste and part of the country management team. The Mercy Corps finance Department is responsible for all financial functions including accounting, payments and banking, payroll, budgeting, financial reporting, and grant financial management and compliance. The Finance Manager ensures compliance with donor regulations as well as Mercy Corps’ internal policies and procedures. The Finance Manager provides timely reports and assistance to the Management and Program teams to ensure that financial resources are used efficiently and effectively
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Oversee and manage daily country-wide accounting and finance functions including the timely recording of transactions, cash management, banking, payroll, inventory, receivables, and payables.
- Plan and implement systems for financial operations in both the main country office and in field offices in accordance with the Mercy Corps Field Finance Manual and donor regulations, including systems for cash flow management, budgeting, consolidation of accounting information, internal controls, financial reporting, financial record-keeping, grant management and compliance.
- Maintain banking relations and plan and monitor country cash flow requirements to ensure the smooth implementation of Mercy Corps programs.
- Provide monthly standard accounting submissions to Country Director and Mercy Corps Headquarters, including general ledger files, account reconciliations, expenditures by cost center/project, required sub grantee reporting, as well as other financial information in a timely and accurate manner.
- Develop annual fiscal year budgets with the Country Director and develop and implement grant budgeting and forecasting systems with Program Managers.
- Review and monitor partners’ financial reporting and compliance. Provide additional technical assistance to partners as necessary to maintain high standards of compliance.
All Finance Department staff
REPORTS DIRECTLY TO: Country Director
WORKS DIRECTLY WITH: HQ Regional Finance Officers and Managers in Portland and Scotland (with authority for technical financial matters)
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- Five or more years of progressive financial management experience with local or international NGOs is required.
- A BA/S or equivalent in accounting or finance is required.
- Experience in grants management as well as an understanding of donor regulations is required.
- Demonstrated experience and skill with budget preparation and analysis, financial reporting preparation and presentation and the proven ability to translate technical financial data into informative reports.
- Strong accounting skills and experience, including management of the general ledger, journal entries, payroll, payables and balance sheet.
- Familiarity with European Commission, US Government. Australian Government and other international institutional, foundation and private donor procedures preferred.
- Advanced computer skills in MS Office programs, particularly Excel
- Prior management experience and strong organizational skills
- Fluent in oral and written English
- Fluent Tetum (knowledge of Portuguese and Bahasa Indonesian a plus)
- Willing to travel regularly to Mercy Corps field offices and project sites.
The ability to interact effectively with international and national personnel both in a managerial as well as training capacity is required. An ability to support programmatic objectives with timely and meaningful financial information is essential. A demonstrated ability to multi-task, meet deadlines and process information in support of changing program activities is necessary. An impeccable professional standard of finance and procurement ethics as well as the willingness and ability to enforce compliance with Mercy Corps and donor policies and procedures is essential. The Country Finance Manager must be willing to travel regularly to Mercy Corps field offices and project sites.
Interested applicant can send CV and Cover Letter no later than 30 December 2014 to email firstname.lastname@example.org or send it directly to Mercy Corps office at Rua Dr. Barros Gomes (next to NCBA/CCT Clinic), Bidau – Lecidere, Dili