Title : Program Officer – National Casual Position
Program : Local Governance
Unit : Timor-Leste Office
Reports to : Program Manager
Contract duration : February 16, 2015 – October 31, 2015.
The Asia Foundation (the Foundation) is currently implementing a program to support women’s leadership at the local level. The program, Strengthening Local Governance in Timor-Leste to Better Address Women’s Needs (Women’s Local Governance Program), is funded by the Norwegian Government and runs from 2012 to 2015.
This program aims to support women leaders at the suco (village) level in building their capacity as local leaders, as well as assisting the suco council to be responsive to women’s development needs in the suco. Through this program, the Foundation is focusing on twomen occupying reserved seats on the suco council (two women’s representatives, and one young woman on every suco council), raising their profile on the suco council and with community members, and assisting them in exercising their role as representing women in their suku. Through this focus, the Foundation also aims to encourage suku councils to lobby government and other institutions to pay attention to women’s issues.
The program’s objectives are to:
– Increase women’s leadership in local governance or suco councils; and
– Increase local government accountability and capacity to address women’s priority issues.
The program outcomes therefore relate to both the women representatives on village councils and to the performance of local councils in addressing women’s priority needs:
- Women suco representatives will have increased capacity and confidence to to be effective leaders;
- Suco council representatives (male and female) will be more accountable for their performance in addressing women’s needs;
- Suco councils will be more responsive to women’s priority issues;
- Women suco representatives will have greater influence on district level priorities.
There are a number of activities provided to suku councils including an assesment of their performance on how they demonstrate their functions in order to identify areas that demonstrate weakness and that require our support; capacity building training to both men and women representatives of suku councils; and Women Representative meetings with identified government line agencies to share their experiences and advocate issues faced by women in their sukus.
We are seeking a short term consultant to fulfil the role of program officer for nine months to assist the program manager in preparing activity plans, budgeting, recruitment of interview facilitators for end line assement of the program in six districts, monitoring and mentoring on going activities and lead Women District Network meeting in four target districts.
- Graduate diploma or bachelor degree in Governance, Law, Social Science or related field
- Minimum 2 years field experience including community works
- Experience in Timor-Leste, particularly Women Local Governance
- Tetun or English language abilities
- Familiarity with Timor Leste Environment
- Familiarity with the Foundation will be considered a plus.
Specific Responsibility of the consultant:
- Communicating with SEPI (State Secretary Promotion and Equality) at national level and focal points in the districts in relation to on going program activities in the districts.
- Working with the Program Manager on budgeting, planning for each program activity, prepare budget request for TAF finance, organising the procurement of stationary for trainings and meetings, design meeting agendas, and prepare presentation for Women District Network (WDN) meeting and others.
- Working closely with each Women District Coordinator of each of the four target districts for preparation, venue, invitations for WDN Meeting, and the implementation.
- Coordinating with Suku Associations in the districts, District Administration office and other Government line agencies at district level (health, education, water and sanitation) to attend the WDN meeting in each district.
- Conducting Women District Network meeting in four districts of project sites (Ainaro, Baucau, Bobonaro, Oe-Cusse), During the period of February- April 2015,
- Provide activity and trip report to Program Manager after traveling to districts,
- Assist the Program Manager in the recuitment fof Endline Assessment Facilitators in sixs districts Ainaro, Baucau, Bobonaro, Ermera, Manatuto,
- Assist Facilitators during the implementation of endline assesment on the budget, invitation, receipts, attendence list, expenses reportduring the period from May 2015 – Septembert 2015,
- Monitoring the on going program activity,
- Assist the End line Assement monitoring process and data analysis,
- Other tasks as required.
|Communication with local and int NGOs and also relevant government line ministries such SEPI in nasional level in Dili and SEPI focal point in districts and other government agencies.||Dili|
|Assist Program manager preparing budget, invitations, attendence list, Expenses report in relation to the implementation of program activities.||Dili|
|Lead the WDN meeting with satake holders in the districts||4 target districts|
|Support DCs and facilitators in on going activities in districts||4 target district|
Provide meeting notes. trip report, Women District Network meeting including, comments, suggestions and recommendations from the meetings and other .
This position will be supervised by Program Manager for the Women Local Governance.
The Asia Foundation strongly encourages women to apply. The position is open for Timorese national only.
All applications must include a cover letter, an updated CV and must address the selection criteria. Please include three contactable referees. Please address your application to Odete Maria Antonia Laranjinha Pinto – HR Officer, and delivered by hand to the Asia Foundation’s office at Rua Praia dos Coqueiros, Bairo Metin Rua, Dili, Timor-Leste OR via email@example.com before or by Wednesday, 4 February 2015 at 05.00 PM,
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the interview