Department / Project : Safe Motherhood Program
Position `: Field Officer
Grade : E1
Salary : From $365.00 per month plus benefits
Duty Station : Covalima District
Report to : Project Officer
Contract period : March 2015 to June 2015 with possibility of extension
CARE is an international humanitarian organization, with a vision of empowering women and girls to fight poverty and bring lasting change to their communities. We work in over 80 countries around the world. We work with partners to achieve lasting results for marginalized communities.
People are CARE’s greatest assets. CARE international in Timor –Leste (CITL) ha s a diverse team of dedicated, talented professionals who work together to make a lasting impact.
The Safe Motherhood Project is aligned with the Government of Timor-Leste’s National Reproductive Health Strategy (2004-2015) which supports birth spacing using family planning services and men’s involvement in fertility management, and commits to ensuring all pregnant women can access maternal care.
The overall goal of the project is to decrease maternal mortality and morbidity. To achieve this goal, the project will focus on improving RMH health and nutrition behaviours and improving, access, utilization and provision of quality RMH services. To achieve these health related outcomes, the project will focus on achieving the following intermediate outcomes (also the program’s objectives):
- Empowered women, youth and communities
- Expanded, inclusive, and effective spaces for negotiation and dialogue
- Empowered, effective, responsive and accountable health system
These outcomes will be facilitated by working with the Ministry of Health, civil society partners and local leaders to implement the following strategies: Mothers’ Caring Groups & Family Gardens, Safe Birth Plans, Family Health Days, Social Analysis and Action, Mutual Accountability Tool, training nurses and midwives, and supporting to link Traditional Birth Attendants (TBAs) with Skilled Birth Attendants.
The Safe Motherhood project, with its already established mother’s groups and targeted nutrition education as part of the project strategy, is poised to expand further in to the nutrition area.
Job summary will include:
- Assist PO in development of project planning, implementation, and reporting for the project activities
- Support Project Officer to represent CARE at relevant district level meetings such as with DHS and CHC
- Support Project Officer to coordinate with Community Health Centre (CHC) or Health Post (HP) to become involved in project activities
- Manage project budget, expenditure and financial acquittal along with the Project Officer
- Submit monthly monitoring reports to Project Officer on time
- Collect beneficiary stories from the target aldeias
- Organize and keep relevant project information
- Identify pregnant women in all target aldeias in consultation with the midwife, chief nurse of the aldeia, Promotor Saude Familia or Traditional Birth Attendants (TBAs) in catchment area
- Ensure Mothers Caring Groups (MCG) in all target aldeias is established and ensure all the pregnant women are involved as well as pregnant women with disability where feasible
- Assist MCGs to establish kitchen gardens with MCG in all aldeia coverage
- Identify MCG Leaders from each aldeia using the already developed criteria and in consultation with the Chief of aldeia.
- Mobilize communities and conduct health education and health promotion on pregnancy, pregnancy danger signs, delivery danger signs, importance of delivering with skilled birth attendants, the benefit of birth spacing, family planning and eating nutritious food, on a monthly basis
- Facilitate and assist MCG Leaders to develop safe birth plans with all the pregnant women and their families and be prepared to act if and when an emergency arises
- Support Program Officers to ensure Chief of sucos and aldeias have clear understanding about the CARE project.
- At least 2 years working experiences in Reproductive and Maternal Health area
- Midwife, Nurse, Public Health Degree with relevant training Certificate is highly desired
- Experience in community mobilization and facilitation
- Experience in project planning and monitoring of budget and expenses
- Ability to drive a motorbike in remote location and must have valid license
- Ability to promote collaboration with CITL staff, Government, Local authority, and other partners
- Ability to write and present regular reports to management and partners as required
- Fluency in Tetúm, other mother tongue especially Bunak and good command of English
- Availability to live in Covalima with regular travel to sub district, Suco, Aldeia where CARE works
- The candidate should be organized, effective, creative, a team player, and highly motivated
In return of your commitment you will benefit from ongoing professional development fostered within an innovative and forward thinking environment, plus a comprehensive benefits package.
To apply to this position, please email your submit the application letter and Curriculum Vitae with two references (Please DO NOT attached the other documents) to email@example.com OR to HR Unit, CARE InternationalTimor-Leste, Bairo Pitte, Dili, OR by email before or by 19 February 2015. Only successful candidates will be contacted for the interview.
CARE is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse workforce. Women are strongly encouraged to apply.
CARE International Timor-Leste is committed to protecting the rights of children in all areas we work. CARE International Timor-Leste reserves the right to conduct screening procedures to ensure a child-safe environment.