Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) Coordinator
(Managing Risk through Economic Development,M-RED)
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY
The DRR Coordinator will work closely with the Deputy Program Manager to implement the M-RED Program in Ainaro, Ermera and Dili Districts. The position will be based in Dili with frequent travel to Ainaro (40%), Ermera (40%) and Dili (20%). The DRR coordinator will coordinate and collaborate with 2 districts coordinators and 3 project officers at field level to provide overall technical activities on DRR components of the M-RED Program.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Coordinate Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) program activities together with District Coordinators and project officers to ensure high quality performance and program delivery.
- Conduct activities of community-based DRR so that communities have increased capacity to prevent, prepare for mitigate disaster risk through locally appropriate DRR strategies.
- Assist District Team and communities in design and strategy for specific DRR activities (Early Warning Systems, mitigation plans, contingency planning, DRR awareness raising, etc)
- Facilitate the process of community mobilization and functioning of District Disaster Management Committees (DDMCs)and Suco Disaster Management Committees (SDMCs)
- Work with District Disaster Management Committees (DDMCs) and the National Disaster Management Directorate (in coordination with Program Manager) to facilitate capacity building of SDMCs and coordinate program activities with government DRR priorities
- Assist in strengthening the network on DRR in three (3) districts of Dili, Ermera and Ainaro
- Liaise with CVTL, government and other relevant partners in Disaster Risk Reduction
- Liaise with other partners in areas of potential complementarily, particularly with regard to climate change adaptation.
- Development of dissemination strategy on DRR best practices.
- Work closely with local implementing partner to ensure quality training delivery, PDRA report updating, Community and HHs level preparednessplan, capacity building of Haburas staffs on DRR issues
- Build strong linkage with other relevant stakeholders
- Close coordination and support implementation of Bio-Engineering activities
- Other duties as assigned by the Deputy Program Manager.
Contributes to an atmosphere conducive to professional growth and development for Program staff in accordance with Mercy Corps’ commitment to excellence and achievement; encourage a team culture of learning, creativity and innovation
REPORTS DIRECTY TO:DeputyProgram Manager – MRED, Timor Leste
WORKS DIRECTLY WITH:District coordinator and project officer, project Engineer, project partners, Mercy Corps Timor Leste teams, appropriate Government departments/sectors
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
The successful DRR Coordinator will be familiar with the local context, opportunities and challenges of M-RED program, with a strong combination of coordination, reporting, liaison and communication skills. The position requires an ability and commitment to build capacity of the local partner, maximizing efforts to ensure high quality and productive program implementation.
- Advanced university degree in Social Science, environmental sciences, resource economics, engineering or other fields relevant to disaster management.
- At least 3 years of work experience in a relevant field.
- Familiarity with community-based Disaster Risk Reduction approaches
- 2-4 years working experiences with International NGOs in leading, managing and organizing program staff
- Experience of team building and stakeholder engagement ( Government and NGO’s)
- English competency will be treated as an asset
- Willingness to travel in remote areas more than 80% time
- Demonstrated leadership and communication skills.
- Takes initiative and demonstrates ability to organize workload and set priorities for team
- Integrity, accountability and honesty in all levels
- Ability to perform under stress
Letter of interest should be submitted to: firstname.lastname@example.org no later than March 24, 2015, 5pm (Dili time). Only shortlisted candidate will be contacted for further assessment