International Bar Association
The International Bar Association (IBA) is a global federation of judges, lawyers, law societies and bar associations which works to influence the development of international law reform and shape the future of the legal profession. It has 206 member organisations and over 55,000 individual members cover all continents. The IBA’s Human Rights Institute (IBAHRI) was established in 1995 and works across the IBA helping to promote, protect and enforce human rights under a just rule of law, and to preserve the independence of the judiciary and legal profession worldwide.
Location: Dili, Timor Leste
Reporting to: Principal Programme Lawyer, IBAHRI
The IBAHRI is seeking a Legal Specialist to be engaged on a full-time consultancy basis for a period of six months, with the possibility of extension.
The Legal Specialist will be based in Dili, Timor Leste. She/he will be responsible for the following tasks and responsibilities.
Essential Tasks and Responsibilities
· Provide technical assistance and support to the Timor Leste Ministry of Justice and legal profession in the drafting of enabling legislation for the establishment of a national bar association (‘Draft Law’);
· Provide technical assistance and advice to the Timor Leste National Parliament, Government and legal profession during the Draft Law’s legislative process;
· Provide technical assistance to the Timor Leste Ministry of Justice and legal profession in the drafting of the implementation of the Draft Law, in particular the organization and running of the inaugural General Assembly of the bar association and its elections;
· Work with national stakeholders to conduct public outreach and information programmes regarding the establishment of the national bar association;
· Assist the Board of Directors and Bar Association in the development of its first strategic plan;
· Assist the first Board of Directors to develop by-laws, disciplinary mechanisms and routines for collecting membership fees.
· Work with the Board of Directors to develop and implement other procedures as deemed necessary, such as internal running and management procedures, regulatory issues, continuing legal education and the identification of internal training opportunities;
· Assist the Bar Association to develop links with regional and international legal bodies;
· Provide regular, on-ground monitoring of rule of law developments and ensure an effective line of communication with the IBA for the dissemination of information to the wider international community.
· Provide regular, on-ground monitoring of rule of law developments and ensure an effective line of communication with the IBA for the dissemination of information to the wider international community. The programme will seek to strengthen the ability of the Bar Association to speak out in support of the rule of law.
· Carry out other related duties at the direction of the IBAHRI.
In carrying out the above, the Legal Specialist will at all times adhere to the highest professional standards and to IBA and IBAHRI procedures and policies as directed.
Qualifications and Experience
· Law degree
· Knowledge of international human rights law
· Experience (3-5 years) of project management preferably in the field of human rights and / or rule of law in a post-conflict environment
· Experience of providing technical and strategic advice to Governments and / or legal profession, coordinating professional workshops or events and collaborating with national and international stakeholders
· LLM / MA in a related field (e.g human rights / international law)
· Experience working with bar associations/law societies
· Excellent written and oral communication in English, knowledge and / or fluency of Tetum and / or Portuguese an advantage
· Highly organised and strong interpersonal skills
· High level of diplomacy and confidence in networking with legal professionals
· Ability to work independently, take initiative and prioritise work tasks
· Ability to manage high-level meetings and demonstrate cultural and professional sensitivity to the audience
· Flexibility and ability to work under pressure so as to complete tasks within given time frame
· Ability to track expenditure and to apply value-for-money principles
· Strong computer skills
· Consultancy Fee ($3,000 per month)
· Business expenses (payable against receipts)
· Support package and housing allowance for non-resident applicants
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter and full CV detailing your experience as relevant to the above qualifications and qualities by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Copy all applications to email@example.com.
The cover letter should specifically address the qualification requirements listed above.
The closing date for applications is Monday 16th March 2015, with interviews to take place shortly after.
The successful applicant will be expected to start duties in May – June 2014, subject to negotiation.
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Proof of eligibility to work in Timor Leste is required.