|Job title||Communication Specialist (CNE) (national position)|
|Application deadline||May 13, 2015|
|Type of Contract||Short-Term Technical Assistance|
|Language(s) required||English and Tetum required|
|Starting Date||May 2015|
|Duration of the contract||8 months|
Counterpart International is implementing the four-year Ba Distrito project which is funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID). The goal of the project is to improve the ability of local governance to address community needs and increase its capacity to deliver services more effectively, efficiently and sustainably. The Ba Distrito project is partnering with the Government of Timor-Leste to assist in improving services at the local level by strengthening the ability of institutions such as suco councils and justice sector agencies to engage with, and represent the interests of, citizens at the grassroots level. The project is also supporting national efforts for the anticipated suco elections in 2015, as well as the first municipal elections anticipated to take place in 2016, through support to the country’s Electoral Management Bodies (EMBs) to hold fair, transparent, inclusive local elections and facilitate civic engagement in preparation for the national general election in 2017.
Ba Distrito is seeking a Communication Specialist to be seconded to the National Election Commission (CNE) of Timor-Leste. The Communication Specialist will responsible for strengthening the institution’s communication strategies, and will assist and support the development of communication strategy for CNE’s Public Relation Sub-Commission for the upcoming election(s).
The Communication Specialist will:
- Design a long-term civic-education strategy for Timor-Leste’s upcoming electoral cycle, in close consultation with CNE,
- Implement the communication strategy/ies, , including the development and implemention of work plan, ensuring that results are realized in a timely manner;
- Provide strategic communications advice to CNE ;
- Establish and maintain close relationships with local media outlets, and provide timely and accurate information upon request (with the approval of the CNE Commissioner).
- Assist in branding efforts;
- Develop information and education products such as fliers, posters, brochures (in Tetum) etc.
- Coordinate all CNE publication activities, including website content management, publishing materials, design and supervision of publication dissemination;
- Provide day-to-day mentoring to CNE Communication Officer and oversee the preparation of information/communications products;
- Support CNE to roll out its strategy, build the capacity of its media team and maximize CNE’s impact using various types of media for outreach.
The communication strategy must:
- Include attention to how males, females, youth, people with disability and other marginalized groups access information;
- Ensure representation and inclusion of males, females, youth, people with disability and other marginalized groups;
- Include representation of the rights and roles of females, youth, people with disability, and other marginalized groups with regards to voting.
The Communications Specialist will produce the following deliverables during the period of this contract:
- Communications and Reporting Strategy
- Evaluation reports (progress in reaching communications and reporting goals, as outlined in the strategy)
- Unit capacity-building needs assessment and corresponding plan of action (work plan)
- Evaluation reports (progress in reaching communications capacity goals, as outlined in the needs assessment and corresponding plan of action)
- A suite of strategically developed communications materials relating to civic education, including: Fact sheets, brochures, pamflets and videoand a corresponding media engagement strategy
- Media advice to CNE, and analysis, where relevant
- Information, learning products for CNE staff, where relevant.
Minimum Requirements and Experience:
- Proven experience in the strategic development and implementation development of a multi-faceted communications strategy or strategies
- Strong writing skills with experience in writing reports, informational/educational copy, speeches, media releases, and website content
- Experience in project-managing communication and marketing materials for publication, from concept design to printing and delivery
- Proven experience in media outreach and media engagement
- Good problem solving skills
- Ability to work to short deadlines
- Experience in Timor-Leste or similar context an asset
- Fluency in Tetum and English required
- Excellent technical understanding of electoral system in Timor-Leste.
Please submit a CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org referencing the job title CNE Communications Specialist in the subject line. Deadline for submissions is close of business on May 13, 2015.
Counterpart International is a global development organization that empowers people and communities to implement innovative and enduring solutions to social, economic, and environmental challenges. For nearly 50 years, Counterpart has been forging partnerships with communities in need to address complex problems related to economic development, food security and nutrition, and building effective governance and institutions. For more information visit www.Counterpart.org