Technical Support & Training Officer
Liga Inan Program
Location: Dili, Timor Leste (with some district travel)
Recruitment type: Only Timorese nationals are eligible to apply for this position
Contract Period: One year with three month probation period
About Catalpa International
Catalpa International is a human-centered design and technology agency which provides innovative, simple and effective solutions in a development context. Launched in 2010, Catalpa builds tools to assist governments, NGOs, communities and donors to make decisions to improve the delivery of aid and services.
Catalpa focuses on how technology can be used to improve the management of information in various sectors, including health, agriculture, finance, governance, mobile services and advocacy. Catalpa combines innovative technologies with projects that improve the lives of individuals. Catalpa believes that technology can be an agent for change. Catalpa draws on a wide range of experiences and seeks to continually broaden its capabilities by working with partners who are invested in developing better outcomes for communities.
Over the past two and half years Catalpa has established strong relationships with the Government of Timor-Leste, the Government of Myanamar and the donor community including USAID, AusAID, European Union and partners such as the World Bank, World Health Organisation, International Labor Organisation and The Asia Foundation.
The Liga Inan program is seeking to reduce Timor-Leste’s high maternal and neonatal morbidity and mortality through increasing the utilisation of, and access to, skilled health care providers by women during and after pregnancy. Liga Inan does this by using mobile phones to connect expectant mothers with health providers to improve the likelihood of a healthy pregnancy and birth.
Developed by Catalpa International in partnership with Health Alliance International and the Timor Leste Ministry of Health Timor-Leste, the Liga Inan service, built on Catalpa’s ‘Connect’ platform, combines an online web-application with simple mobile phones. The service provides regular health promotional messages to women and facilitates two-way communication between health providers and expectant mothers. Midwives can use a mobile phone to register expectant mothers, track their progress, know when they go into labour and make arrangements for attending the delivery. Mothers continue to receive support through the first six weeks of the newborn’s life. Liga Inan also sends automated health promotional information via SMS to all registered pregnant mothers throughout their pregnancy to help them make better decisions about their pregnancy and link them with regular prenatal care.
MAIN DUTIES & RESPONSIBILTIES
The Technical Support & Training Officer is an integral part of the Liga Inan team and will be a key interface between the program software design team, and the programs beneficiaries, including midwives, expectant mothers and relevant Ministry of Health staff.
The Technical Support & Training Officer will undertake the following activities:
- Provide high level technical support to users of the Liga Inan service, including Ministry of Health (MoH) staff.
- Assist in the design and delivery of user training programs in relation to the technical aspects of the Liga Inan program.
- Assist in the design and implementation of user-support services and procedures for the Liga Inan mHealth service.
- Engage and facilitate meetings with officials from MoH and Timor Telecom in relation to the technical aspects of the Liga Inan program.
- Facilitate a mentoring program with MoH partners on the technical maintenance of the Liga Inan service.
OTHER DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide advice on protocol for meetings with officials from the Government of Timor-Leste.
- Assist Catalpa’s Liga Inan Project Manager with the general implementation and administration of the Liga Inan service.
- Plan and facilitate district level design workshops and training programs (Is this different from point three in the above section).
- Other duties as directed.
Qualifications and Experience
- Ability to learn quickly on the job and deliver high quality results.
- At least 4 years experience in training program design and facilitation.
- Experience in delivering training to beneficiaries.
- Ability to effectively communicate users’ difficulties to software engineers.
- Strong knowledge of Android.
- Fluency in English and Tetum.
- Willingness to travel to districts.
- Qualifications in a relevant field.
- Experience delivering training in relation to the use of technology.
- Experience working with Government officials.
- Experience working in an international NGO.
- Experience working in challenging and fast-changing environments.
Terms and Conditions
The Technical Support & Training Officer will comply with relevant Catalpa International and Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade policies, including but not limited to Children Protection, Fraud and Risk. Failure to adhere to these policies will result in grounds for termination of contract.
All applications should be sent to email@example.com with a covering letter, CV and a statement of claims against the qualifications and experience criteria. A single PDF document is preferred.
All applications must be submitted by 18 May 2015.
For further enquiries or questions regarding this position, please send all correspondence to firstname.lastname@example.org with Technical Support & Training Officer in the subject line of the email.