I. Job Title : National Civil Engineer
II. Job Reference : RDTL-MPIE-MPS-2015-002
III. Terms of Reference : Attached
IV. Application procedure
Applications need to be addressed to the MPS Office at Hudi Laran, Fatuhada, Timor-Leste, or to email address, firstname.lastname@example.org, no later than 17:00 hours Timor-Leste time on Monday, the 18th day of May, 2015.
Applications should include (a) a covering letter (b) a detailed resume of no more than 7 pages.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Ministério do Planeamento e Investimento Estratégico
Secretariado dos Grandes Projectos
Position : National Civil Engineer
Reference : RDTL-MPIE-MPS-2015-002
Reporting to : Coordinator of MPS
Classification : Technical Contract
Duration : One Year with a 3 Months Probation Period (with possibility of extension based on performance assessment and the need)
Division : IF Management Unit, Major Project Secretariat, Ministry of Planning and Strategic Investment
The Government of Timor-Leste has established an Infrastructure Fund since 2011 to finance major projects identified by the Line Ministries responsible for their planning, implementation and management. The Major Project Secretariat (MPS), under the guidance of the Ministry of Finance (MoF) and Council of Administration of the Infrastructure Fund (CAFI), to which the Major Projects Secretariat provides technical and management support services. To provide these services, the Major Projects Secretariat consists of the following main units: IF Management Unit, Payment Unit, Planning/Project Appraisal Unit, Loans Unit, Public Private Partnership Unit (PPP) and Database / Reporting Unit.
Further to restructure of V Government Constitutional in February 2015, the MPS has shifted to the Ministry of Planning and Strategic Investment while Public Private Partnership (PPP) and Loan Unit remain with the Ministry of Finance. Hence, the main duties of MPS still in the area IF Management Unit, Appraisal & Budgeting Unit, and Database & IT Unit.
The National Civil Engineers will assist MPS identify projects suitable for inclusion in the Infrastructure Fund portfolio, assess and evaluate projects, contribute to related procurement activities, project implementation, management and progress monitoring. He/she will be required to coordinate his/her activities with the relevant line ministries, National Development Agency (NDA) and with the National Procurement Commission with respect to the preparation of project appraisals, tender documents and verification of submitted bid documents, contract documents and payment requests and assisting in the preparation of CPVs, POs and PRs for a number of infrastructure project contracts.
III. SCOPE OF WORK
The consultant(s) shall undertake the following tasks:
· Cooperate with the concerning agencies of the Government and Ministries for the smooth implementation of IF projects within one or more program sectors;
- Participate in preliminary project appraisal and assessment and review of major projects primarily their preliminary technical feasibility but also their economic and financial feasibility;
- Assist in more detailed and comprehensive project appraisal analysis particularly with respect to technical feasibility, cost estimation analysis and project implementation aspects;
- Liaise with the relevant National Directorates for reviews of technical studies including technical and preliminary feasibility studies, topography and geotechnical surveys, detailed engineering designs, drawings, cost estimations, BoQs, etc. of on-going and new major projects before submitting to National Development Agency (NDA) for final review;
· Liaise with the NDA during reviews of bidding documents including TORs and Bid Specifications prior to procurement by the National Procurement Commission (NPC);
· Assist in data collection and analysis for post-construction performance monitoring of samples of completed major projects;
- Liaise with project stakeholders through project working groups meetings to ensure full local ownership and participation in the project implementation;
- Review of payment requests and certificates and due diligence for support documents from line ministries including technical and financial certificate, NDA approval and recommendation for payment, and Withholding Tax deduction before submission of final payment request to Treasury;
- Prepare technical and financial briefing notes on the various project issue to CAFI meeting and follow up action on the CAFI decision;
- Prepare contributions to quarterly and annual IF status reports, project appraisal reports and other reports for CAFI;
- Participate in the preparation of IF budget book, budget discussion and provide technical input or support as per requirement;
- Perform other related duties as required by the Coordinator of MPS.
IV. KEY DELIVERABLES
· Reviews of Project Briefs prepared by relevant Ministries, State Secretariat or other agencies;
· Reviews of Detailed Design Reports and Tender Documentation transport sector to be completed and ready for further action;
· Reviews of Bid Documents prior to submission to NDA for final review before submission to NPC;
· Files maintained on contract agreements with supporting documents of the selected bidder as received from NPC;
· Payment requests and certificates prepared and submitted on time for approval and payment by Treasury;
· Contributions to IF status reports and appraisal reports, etc. prepared and submitted.
V. SELECTION CRITERIA
- First degree in civil engineer with strong skills and experiences in area of building design, construction and supervision works;
- Relevant professional experience of minimum 3 years in performing the above or similar tasks;
- Excellent English language skills both speaking and writing;
- Excellent computer skills;
- Readiness to work with other international/national staff within a multi-cultural environment.
- Masters degree in construction management or engineering is preferable;
- Ability to speak and write Portuguese language will be expected;
- Have previous experiences knowledge of national and international contracts procedure, standard knowledge particularly FIDIC Contract will be an asset.
VI. PERFORMANCE EVALUATION
The performance of the National Civil Engineer will be assessed by the Director of Major Project Secretariat, using the Performance Appraisal System put in place and carried out by the Ministry of Planning and Strategic Investment.
There will be a probation period of three months.