Job Title: Director
Application Deadline: 10 June 2015
Type of Contract: Fixed Term
Languages Required: Tetum and English
Starting Date: (Date when the selected candidate is expected to start) July 2015
Expected Duration of Assignment: From July 2015 to July 2016 (One year and One Month)
Duty Station Dili, Timor- Leste
Assosasaun Mane kontra Violensia (AMKV) is a non-governmental, nonprofit organization dedicated to the promotion of Gender equality and prevention of violence against women and girls (VAW). Our vision is to ensure that communities are free from violence and discrimination and women’s human rights are respected. AMKV is grounded on the principles of equality and human rights enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, and plays an instrumental role in advocating for zero tolerance of violence in all spheres. AMKV works at community and municipal level. At national level, AMKV has built robust synergies with, women’s networks, national and International organizations and thus has facilitated efforts to combat violence against women and girls. AMKV’s contribution is also visible at policy level especially in influencing gender and rights-based reforms in laws, policies and National Action Plans on Gender Based Violence (GBV), and has vehemently been the voice of Non-violence in TL.
AMKV’s functioning is guided by internal rules, regulations and procedures and as a matter of principle transparency and accountability is key. The office received funding from the Embassy of Finland and seeks to recruit a qualified person for the position of Director to provide overall management of programmes and human resources, coordinate and liaise with stakeholders and partners at all levels of work.
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Board, the Director is expected to lead and manage the organization and play an oversight role in areas that include and not limited to Human resource management, programme management, and Institutional strengthening. He will be responsible for overseeing the implementation of projects, and will liaise with donors and development partners. The candidate should demonstrate commitment to attend coordination meetings with partners and stake holders with vested interests in the project. Specific roles will include the following.
a) Skill full management
· Oversee the implementation of projects, organize and control resources and conduct supervisory activities and make approvals,
· Coordinate with the management team to put plans into action at operational and programme level
· Supervise staff performance and provide recommendations where necessary
· Make informed decisions about actions that need to be implemented in the organization and set precedence for similar decisions
· Play mortivational role by chairing meetings with partners, internal stake holders and sometimes beneficiaries where feasible.
· Control and comply with financial control policies, regulations, and procedures
that comply with Donor rules.
· Submit annual reports to the Executive board , which contain an overview of its activities and of the evaluations conducted.
· Adopt, in consultation with executive board, standard rules for the publication of evaluation reports and other documents.
· Participate actively in project Identification, including leading in research studies
b) Leadership and Communication
· Motivating employees by being inspirational and remaining optimistic.
· Encouraging good performance and values and principles among employees .
· Allocating resources and supplies to the staff in order to make sure they have the content and are upright in executing their duties
· Making sure that projects and activities are being laid out efficiently
· Effectively as possible ensure that the activities implemented are of good quality
· Advocating for and embracing change both at programmes and operational level
· Being a leader by setting high standards and living by these standards.
c) Partnerships and cooperation
· Establish and strengthen communication mechanisms with existing partners based on mutual trust and mutual understanding as succinctly elaborated in the organizations statute
· Share with donors ,the annual work plans for projects, including budget revisions as necessary, based on the approved project documents, in close coordination and consultation with the management team
· Revise Terms of Reference for consultants and contractors where necessary
· Design Memoranda of Understanding with Partners, beneficiary groups and various establishments with a stake in the projects.
· Design and implement an effective Information Transfer mechanism to ensure smooth and systematic flow of information to multiple partners and Identify networking and Information Sharing strategy
· Provide technical inputs into various project planning and implementation processes designed together in consultation with donors.
· Development of a Stakeholder Involvement and Public Participation plan , to enable multi stakeholder participation in all organizations actions
· Liaise, consult and network with appropriate and relevant national and municipal partners,including the council members of administrative posts
· Promote actively AMKV’S Objectives, Mission and principles and the project components in all relevant media and fora.
· Facilitate the establishment of Coordinating Procedures; the Project management team , the Programmes Advisor , district focal points and beneficiaries.
· Participate in partner meetings, conferences, workshops and committees and contribute to their purpose.
d) Board Function
· Prepare for Board and committee meetings by reading reports and background materials distributed in advance
· Maintain an excellent Board and committee meeting attendance record. The target is 100% attendance.
· Maintain a strict code of conduct by attending entire Board or committee meetings when organized
· Participate in Board meetings in person particularly those where the Board members are meeting members of the public.
· Demonstrated understanding of sustainable development, including financial and institutional sustainability.
· Experience and knowledge in promoting Gender Equality and Opinions in women’s human rights to diverse audiences including decision makers.
· Proven Track record in advocacy at national and community level
· Proven leadership skills and ability to facilitate the work of multidisciplinary teams, manage change and coordinate various decision bodies is essential.
· Effective oral and written presentation skills.
· Good professional knowledge of main office computer application.
· Sound Knowledge and experience in project management is an asset
Required experience and qualifications
The candidate should fulfill the following requirements:
Bachelor’s Degree in Public Administration, Human Resource Management, or Business Administration.
II. Experience and skills
· At least 5 years of experience in managing human resources, partners and Projects
· Possession of excellent knowledge on budgeting is an essential requirement
· Experience of strengthening capacities related to, organizational effectiveness, financial management or other related area
· Knowledge of Timor-Leste’s context or experience in the country is required.
III. Language and other skills
· Excellent command of English both written and oral
· Excellent command of Tetum.
Submission of application
Alternatively, you can send hard copies to AMkV’s office using the address below:
Sekretariadu: Rua Gov. Selestino da Silva, Farol, Dili
Telephone: (+670) 3310329 /+670 77166381
Note: The position is open for Timorese nationals only.
· Curriculum Vitae
· Letter of Interest containing the statement on candidate’s experience in the field of recruitment
· Copy of education certificate and other relevant supporting documents.
· Please note that only short listed candidates will be contacted for interviews