I. JOB TITLE: Economist & Financial Loan Officer
II. TERMS OF REFERENCE Attached
III. APPLICATION PROCEDURE
Please visit our website at www.mof.gov.tl and go to ‘Employment Opportunity’ to learn about our recruitment process and your application requirements including how to address the Selection Criteria in your application.
Applications need to be addressed to the Head of Human Resources, at email address, email@example.com , no later than 17:00 hours Timor-Leste time on Monday, 10th July 2015.
Applications should include (a) a covering letter (b) a detailed resume of no more than 7 pages and (c) Response to the Selection Criteria.
All applicants must answer clearly the selection criteria, that can be found at <http://www.mof.gov.tl/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/APPLICATION_PROCEDURE_MoF-Revised-80213.doc>http://www.mof.gov.tl/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/APPLICATION_PROCEDURE_MoF-Revised-80213.doc delineating how they have met the requirements. We do not expect that you would just cut and paste from your resume but rather explain concisely and succinctly how you have met these competences, possibly providing brief examples etc.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Acting Director General for Corporate Services
Ministry of Finance
República Democrática de Timor-Leste
Ministério das Finanças
TERMS OF REFERENCE
Position: Economist & Financial Loan Officer (National)
Objective: To assist the Unit in the preparation and monitoring of projects funded under External Loan arrangements. The incumbent will assist in the identification of such projects and assist in the formulation of all financing aspects, project related procurement activities, project management and monitoring of their implementation and performance. The Officer will also assist in developing clear procedures for all phases of loan arrangements to be implemented by the External Loan and PPP Unit in the future.
Reporting to: Interim Coordinator of External Loan and PPP Unit
Classification: A3 – Specialized Professional
Duration: 24 months contract, with possibility of extension (based on performance assessment)
Location: Ministry of Finance, Díli – Timor Leste
I. Selection Criteria
• First degree or Postgraduate (preferred) in Economics, Accountancy, Business management or in any other relevant discipline, an advanced degree will be advantage;
• A minimum of 2 years experience as specialist or professional in the area;
• Demonstrate knowledge of national and international Loans and Grants in assisted projects and financial management of private business and/or public sector enterprises;
• Fluent in Tetum with excellent English skills. Knowledge of Portuguese is an advantage;
• Excellent computer skills;
• Willingness to work in a multicultural environment and with people with different backgrounds and experience.
The Government of Timor-Leste (GoTL) is committed to exploring alternative ways and means to attract the private sector, benefiting from its experience and capacity, and financing through external loans offered by development partners.
In accordance with the plan mentioned above, the Government of Timor-Leste has established the External Loan and PPP Unit which will be responsible for the appraisal and implementation of all phases of a Public Private Partnership (PPP) Project Cycle and for all External Loan funded projects. The unit is now operating under the direct administration of the Ministry of Finance, in conformity with the MoF Organic Law.
III. Scope of Work
1. Cooperate with the concerned agencies of the Government and Ministries for the smooth implementation of infrastructure projects which are supported by overseas loans;
· Project implementation proceeds in a timely manner and meets expected quality standards
2. Participate in preliminary project appraisal, assessment and review of major projects including preliminary economic and financial feasibility evaluations and socio-economic and cultural aspects of major development projects which are being considered for co-financing through loans;
· Implementation of project cycle meets standards for due diligence
· Preliminary project appraisals conducted for all potential loan-funded projects
· Inputs to appraisals are specific and relevant, accurate and reliable, delivered to agreed time standards.
3. Collaborate with project stakeholders, Project Management Units and lending agencies through project working groups and meetings to ensure full local ownership and participation in the project implementation;
· Regular meetings held and communication maintained with relevant stakeholders on loans-related issues
· Outstanding issues addressed effectively in a timely manner
· Level of stakeholders et al, satisfaction with collaboration (assessed through feedback)
4. Assist in cooperation with the External Loan and PPP Unit, perform all financial management tasks to ensure the smooth preparation and implementation of External Loan funded projects;
· Debt service instalments executed in a timely manner
· Payments to contractors executed in a timely manner
5. Prepare debt service forecast for external borrowing of the public sector as input to the balance of payment forecast and for total government borrowing as an input to the expenditure estimates of the fiscal budget;
· Debt service forecasts regularly produced and updated as required by the budget preparation process and other policy and financial management purposes
6. Prepare debt sustainability analysis to assess the long term sustainability of the project borrowing levels
· Number of debt sustainability analyses prepared
· Quality of analyses (specific, accurate, timely)
7. Assess external vulnerability using debt and reverse adequacy indicators
· Critical debt sustainability and liquidity issues and constraints identified and addressed
8. Advice on the adequacy of the terms and conditions of proposed loans including maturity, grace, cost and associated procurement restriction.
· Loan proposals analysed in accordance with existing policy guidelines
9. Contribute to a collaborative and collegial team approach within the Unit, working effectively with all staff, contractors and advisers.
· Cooperative working relationships.
· Outcome for Unit is optimised.
10. Perform other related duties as required by the Interim Coordinator of External Loan and PPP Unit.
· Responsiveness to other requests
IV. Key Deliverables
In accordance with the performance indicators listed above and:
· Within 4 weeks, develop an Assignment Work Plan that is consistent with relevant activities and performance indicators of the Ministry’s five year plan and Unit KPIs
· Prepare Quarterly progress report against the agreed Work Plan to the Interim Coordinator of External Loan and PPP Unit
· Provide and End of Assignment report to the Interim Coordinator of External Loan and PPP Unit no later than 10 working days prior to the end of contract
V. Performance Evaluation
The performance will be assessed by the Interim Coordinator of External Loan and PPP Unit, using the Performance Appraisal System put in place and carried out by the Directorate General for Corporate Services, Ministry of Finance. This process will include a probation review within three (3) months of the commencement of the contract, regular reporting, ongoing workplace communications and annual performance appraisal. Performance indicators are in place for all areas within the Ministry, and the incumbent’s work will be contributing to the achievement of the priorities as set out in their TOR and in the Ministry’s Five Year Plan.