|TITLE: Electoral Officer
REPORTS TO: Governance Manager
DATE DUE: 30 June 2015
START DATE: Immediately
DURATION: 6 months, renewable depending on funding and performance
Counterpart International is implementing the four-year United States Agency for International Development (USAID)-funded Ba Distrito project. The goal of the project is to improve local government’s ability to address community needs and increase its capacity to deliver services more effectively, efficiently and sustainably. The Ba Distrito project is partnering with the Government of Timor-Leste in support of its efforts to improve services at the local level by strengthening the ability of institutions such as suco councils and justice sector agencies to engage with and represent the interests of citizens at the grassroots level. The goals of the Ba Distrito project are to 1) build the capacity of suco councils to strengthen citizen participation and representation in local governance; 2) improve communication and linkages between suco councils, administrative posts and municipal administrations; local GOTL line ministries and other providers of basic public services at the sub-national level; 3) improve the delivery of justice sector services by strengthening legal aid services and improving district court functionality; and 4) to strengthen the capacity of Government of Timor-Leste (GoTL), in particular its election management bodies to hold fair, transparent, inclusive local elections and facilitate voter engagement in preparation for the national general election.
With the support and under the supervision of the Governance Manager, the Electoral Officer will oversee all Ba Distrito election activities taking place at national level and in Ba Distrito’s target municipals/special region.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Familiarise her/himself with the applicable International standards for elections, and the relevant Timor-Leste specific election rules, regulations and procedures;
- Assists in the implementation of the Ba Distrito election activities including support voter education through Ba Distrito suco network; support national coordination mechanism for women’s participation; encourage women’s engagement in elections; establish national youth engagement coordination mechanism; support youth-focused civic engagement campaign; support youth voter turnout; establish PWD Engagement Working Group; and encourage civic engagement of PWDs;
- Assist in providing day-to-day coordination and monitoring of election project activities and take primary responsibility for monitoring and evaluating election project activities;
- Coordinate with Electoral Coordinator and with the Ba Distrito partner in conducting voter priority survey in Ba Distrito target municipals/region;
- Monitor pre-electoral environment, the election campaign and administrative preparations in the Ba Distrito’s target municipals;
- Researches and collects information regarding suco and municipal elections from a variety of data sources (e.g. communications, publications, the press) to keep abreast of issues/events and provide up-to-date information;
- Assists in providing technical assistance and support to Ba Distrito’s partners;
- Observe election day procedures, counting and tabulation operations as well as monitor post-electoral developments;
- Establish strong relationships with CNE, STAE and relevant stakeholders; and
- Performs other tasks as assigned.
- A minimum of 3 years relevant experience preferred or a recent degree in a relevant discipline.
- Experience on donor-funded capacity building programs or working in a relevant government or nongovernmental organization preferred.
- Good understanding of electoral processes including voter and civic educations community consultation, etc.
- Degree in political science, law, public administration or other relevant subject or equivalent experience.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively coordinate with a wide range of stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team;
- Gender awareness and sensitivity, and an ability to integrate a gender perspective into tasks and activities;
- Excellent public speaking and writing skills in Tetum. Excellent analysis skills.
- Excellent English-language skills required.
Please submit a CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org referencing the job title Electoral Coordinator in the subject line.
Counterpart International is a global development organization that empowers people and communities to implement innovative and enduring solutions to social, economic, and environmental challenges. For nearly 50 years, Counterpart has been forging partnerships with communities in need to address complex problems related to economic development, food security and nutrition, and buildingeffective governance and institutions. For more information visit www.Counterpart.org