MARITIME BOUNDARY COUNCIL: VACANCY
Position: Media and Outreach Officer, Maritime Boundary Office
Start Date: 1 July 2015
Reporting to: Chief Executive Officer, Policy & Strategic Manager & Senior Information and Communications Adviser
Duration: 7-month contract (with the possibility of extension or progression)
Deadline: Applications will be received until a suitable candidate is found
The Maritime Boundary Council is the central entity responsible for coordinating, driving and providing the institutional capacity to achieve final delimitation of Timor-Leste’s maritime boundaries, which is a national priority.
The Maritime Boundary Council is a public institute vested with fiscal and administrative autonomy that reports directly to the Prime Minister.
The Maritime Boundary Council is currently recruiting for a Media and Outreach Officer to assist the Senior Information and Communications Adviser to provide strategic advice on all communications matters within the organisation’s scope. The Media and Outreach Officer will also directly enhance the organisation’s long-term knowledge, expertise and capacity.
The Media and Outreach Officer is expected to have knowledge in the field of communications and community involvement, preferably with experience in a government body. They should be willing to receive intensive training to further develop their knowledge and expertise. The Media and Outreach Officer will be paired with a Senior Information and Communications Adviser to help develop their practical skills, with a view to progressing towards a more senior role.
The successful candidate will be rewarded with an attractive salary package, options for career development and extensive training, mentoring and support.
- The Media and Outreach Officer will apportion their time between supporting the Senior Information and Communications Adviser and the Chief Executive Officer.
- The media component of the role, under the supervision of the Senior Information and Communications Adviser, will include the following duties:
- Media monitoring of domestic and international digital and print media surrounding maritime boundaries;
- Drafting media releases, correspondence and memoranda.
- The outreach component of the role, under the supervision of the Chief Executive Officer, will include the following duties:
- Coordinating internal government relations in accordance with the instructions of the Chief Executive Officer;
- Coordinating and undertaking domestic community outreach projects to promote the issue of maritime boundaries;
- Monitoring and reporting on international community outreach activities.
- The Media and Outreach Officer will be expected to acquire a significant amount of knowledge relevant to maritime boundaries, as well as practical skills.
Essential: Bachelor’s degree in relevant field; 2-4 years of work experience; roficiency in spoken and written English and Tetum; proven ability to draft reports; strong career ambition; enthusiasm for learning and personal development; excellent work ethic and proven dedication.
Desirable: Master’s degree in communications or human resources; 2-4 years of work experience in relevant field; proficiency in spoken and written Portuguese; excellent attention to detail; ability to exercise discretion and sound judgment; ability to work well in a team environment; ability to work under pressure and to deadlines.
To apply, please send CV (up to 3 pages) and Covering Letter to:
Maritime Boundary Council
Diplomatic Training Centre
Ministry of Foreign Affairs & Cooperation
Praia dos Coqueiros
or by email with subject line “Application – Media and Outreach Officer” to: firstname.lastname@example.org