Role: Accountant, part-time
Duty Station: CEPAD, Dili, Timor-Leste
Purpose: Reporting to CEPAD’s Finance and Administration Manager, and Director, the Accountant will help maintain financial systems and carry out day to day accounting requirements
The Centre of Studies for Peace and Development
The Centre of Studies for Peace and Development (CEPAD) is a national NGO working across Timor-Leste’s 13 municipalities.
Since its inception in 2007, CEPAD in partnership with Interpeace, an international peacebuilding organization, launched the Programme of Research and Dialogue for Peace (PRDP). The overall goal of the PRDP is to help break the cycle of violence and create a climate in which the people of Timor-Leste can identify and address priority issues in a non-violent and durable manner. CEPAD’s vision is that of a Timor-Leste free from conflict and guided in its process of national development by three fundamental principles: transparency, integrity and accountability.
The part-time accountant will periodically support the Finance and Administration manager to maintain the financial systems and carry out the day-today accounting requirements of CEPAD. They will also be responsible for preparing draft donor reports for all projects. The part-time accountant will report directly to the Finance and Administration Manager and to CEPAD’s Director and will regularly be in contact with the Interpeace Admin Support Unit to provide updates on the financial situation of the organization. This position is open to national applicants only.
- Demonstrate a commitment to the values and working principles of CEPAD and availability to support ongoing projects as well as budgeting for new ones;
- Assist with allocations to projects during budget preparation;
- Ensure that budget vs. actual project reporting is up to date;
- Process budget revisions in accordance with the above;
- Assist the Finance and Administration Manager in coding of the donor financial reports to CEPAD’s Chart of Accounts (COA) (which is based on the Interpeace CoA);
- Accounting support;
- Support the Finance and Admin manager in coding expenses to appropriate COA and projects (cost centres);
- Prepare monthly balance sheet reconciliations and provide monthly analysis of the balance sheet balances (i.e. accounts receivable, accounts payable, inter office account);
- Provide support in preparing financial reports as needed;
- Assist the Finance and Admin Manager in responding to inquiries during audits;
- Donor Reporting;
- Develop draft financial donor reports;
- Develop new financial donor report templates as needed.
- University degree and a professional qualification in accounting or in the process of obtaining the qualification;
- Minimum five years of accounting experience, preferably in Non-governmental Organization (NGO);
- Strong understanding of financial controls; source documentation verification; preparation of payment vouchers; and procurement processes;
- Strong accounting knowledge and good working knowledge of Quickbooks or other similar accounting software;
- Strong written and oral communication skills in English;
- Strong computer literacy in all MS Office applications;
- Ability to work to tight deadlines;
- Strong commitment to supporting local peace building initiatives and to the values and working principles of CEPAD.
Qualified candidates may submit their application, including a letter of interest and curriculum vitae to the Administrative Officer at: firstname.lastname@example.org Please indicate “Application for Part-time Accountant” in the subject line. Applications will be received until qualified candidates have been identified and the position has been filled.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.