TITLE: Communications Officer (National Position)
LOCATION: Dili, Timor-Leste
UNIT: Program Support Unit
SUPERVISOR: Manager, Program Support Unit
SUMMARY OF POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES
Reporting to The Asia Foundation’s Communication Specialist, the Communications Officer will provide a broad range of communications support to the Foundation’s programs as well as working closely with the administrative team to provide generalist assistance to the office. The Communications Officer will be flexible, creative, and open to learning new skills as the functions of this role will vary and develop over time.
The Communications Officer is expected to assist with the development and production of recurring communications products (e.g. invitations, banners, cards, publications), and will take the lead in the Foundation’s engagement with media (e.g. contacting journalists, writing press releases, and conducing media monitoring). The Communications Officer will also play a role in the organization of Foundation events, to help build and maintain The Asia Foundation’s reputation and public image in Timor-Leste.
Working closely with the Communications Specialist, the Communications Officer will provide creative support to the Foundation’s programs, providing ideas and creative input into the development of audio-visual materials (e.g. television and radio segments) to effectively reach target groups. The Communications Officer will also require a strong understanding of donor branding requirements and/or the commitment to learn and ensure guidelines are being followed at all times. The successful candidate will need a strong eye for detail as well as the ability to liaise with multiple stakeholders to ensure the production of high quality, donor compliant materials.
The Communications Officer will also play a leading role in the Foundation’s Books for Asia program. Within this work, the successful candidate will liaise with stakeholders in the Ministry of Education, represent the Foundation in literacy-focused events, and coordinate book development, production and distribution in consultation with the Foundation’s Headquarters in San Francisco. The Communications Officer will also coordinate and review translations of children’s books into Tetum.
This position requires a team player, capable of working with multiple teams, external consultants and the Foundation’s Headquarters. The successful applicant should also be self-motivated, able to work autonomously, and strong in managing competing deadlines.
Daily contact with the Communications Specialist, Program Support Unit Manager, as well as various program and administrative staff. Contact with the Country Representative and Deputy Country Representative as needed.
Regular contact with the Foundation’s communications team in San Francisco, donor agency representatives, journalists and members of the media, NGO and INGO partners, short-term consultants (designers, translators, photographers, etc), and the general public.
- Minimum three years of relevant professional experience, preferably in communications and outreach, especially within international agencies and/or NGO settings;
- Experience engaging with media and journalists;
- Demonstrated experience in planning and organizing public events;
- Experience in design and/or production of communications materials;
- Creative thinking – the ability to contribute valuable ideas and suggestions to the development of communications materials;
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills, with the ability to get the job done;
- High level verbal and written communication skills (Tetum and English), including the ability to read and edit documents; Familiarity with INL standard Tetum will be an advantage;
- Strong interpersonal skills including a diplomatic approach when working with others;
- A strong eye for detail and the ability to uphold the Foundation’s style and branding requirements;
- Design and layout skills, including familiarity with Indesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, and/or other design software used to prepare communication materials.
Bachelor degree in a relevant field
KEY PERFORMANCE INDICATORS
These include but are not limited to the following:
- Support the Foundation to design and produce recurring communications products including invitations, banners, leaflets, factsheets, etc;
- Update and maintain the Foundation’s communications calendar to assist in planning and production of communications materials;
- Assist program staff to draft press releases, contact journalists and media to attend events, and monitor coverage of the Foundation’s work in Timor-Leste;
- Maintain up-to-date contact lists for media, consultants, and other external stakeholders;
- Under the Books for Asia initiative, work with supervisors and Headquarters to identify appropriate book titles for production, and coordinate translation, review, printing and distribution;
- Maintain the Foundation’s relationship with the Ministry of Education and President’s Office, and explore new avenues for cooperation on literacy-related initiatives;
- Working with the Communications Specialist, facilitate training and capacity development for Foundation staff in comms-related areas;
- Work with the Foundation’s global communications team in San Francisco to ensure all publications are uploaded to the Foundation’s website and that all pages relating to Timor-Leste are up-to-date;
- Assist programs to ensure that Foundation events are well-planned and attended according to established protocols, and take responsibility for media attendance and coverage of events;
- Review Tetum language documents and translations for clarity, accuracy, and appropriate spelling/grammar;
- Ensure the Foundation has sufficient stock of all promotional material and publications, and update/reorder as required.
All applications must include a cover letter, an updated CV and must address the selection criteria. Please include three contactable referees. They must be addressed to Dian Saputri – Administration & HR Manager, and delivered by hand to the Asia Foundation’s office at Rua Praia dos Coqueiros, Bairo Metin Rua, Dili, Timor-Leste OR via email to email@example.com before or by Monday, 20 July 2015 at 05.00 PM,
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the interview.