Duty Station: Home-based (Dili)
Application Deadline: 2 August 2015
Primary Category: Gender Equality
Type of Contract: Contract for Consultant (CFC)
Languages Required: Tetum/English
Starting Date : (date when the selected candidate is expected to start) 15 of August 2015
Expected Duration of Assignment: 120 days (Between 15th of August 2015 to 15th of August 2016)
1. Background and Context
The UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls, the empowerment of women, and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action, peace and security.
Gender mainstreaming is one of UN Women’s primary areas of work in Timor-Leste as mandated in its inception, recognizing gender-responsive planning and budgeting as integral to good governance. To promote gender-responsive planning and budgeting, UN Women works throughout the annual planning cycle at national and decentralized levels with the women’s machinery as well as key line ministries, parliamentarians, civil society organizations, academia and other institutions.
To achieve its objectives, and ensure a high quality response capacity on gender mainstreaming, the Project on Institutional Strengthening for Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment in Timor-Leste supports the implementation and tracking of gender commitments made by the Government of Timor-Leste. These are outlined in the Strategic Development Plan 2011-2030 and the Programme of the Fifth Constitutional Government 2012-2017, informed by the Millennium Development Goals (MDG) and the New Deal for Engagement in Fragile States.
Upon request of the Ministry of Finance, UN Women is seeking a national consultant to provide technical support to the Ministry of Finance and the Government of Timor-Leste on gender-responsive policy development, especially in the areas of planning, budgeting, finance and civil service reform.
2. Overall objective of the assignment
The overall objective of the proposed consultancy is to provide technical support to government of Timor-Leste on gender-responsive policy development, especially in the areas of planning, budgeting, finance and civil service reform.
3. Scope of work/Duties and Responsibilities
Under an overall guidance of the UN Women Country Representative in Timor-Leste, under the supervision of Programme Specialist on Gender Mainstreaming as well as in close cooperation with the Ministry of Finance, the national consultant will perform but will not necessarily be limited to the following tasks:
· Provide technical advisory support to and build capacity of the staff of Ministry of Finance on institutionalization of gender mainstreaming and gender-responsive budgeting through the organization of learning sessions and providing knowledge on GRB and GM.
· Support the Government in strengthening mainstreaming of gender in their overall planning by:
o Identifying actions required to increase the efficiency of support to the State Budget development, including in the budget journey workshop, development of Budget Circular and Planning Guidelines) in coordination with the Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation Unit of the Prime Minister’s Office
o Exploring opportunities for developing jointly with the Secretary of State for the Support and Socio-Economic Promotion of Women mechanism for improved implementation of gender equality commitments. This could include: set of minimum requirements for Gender Equality to be used during the budget review process; Gender Budget Statement.
· Support the Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation unit at the Prime Minister’s Office through the provision of technical support on Gender Responsive Monitoring, for a greater accountability in the actual implementation of the commitments. This could also be through liaising with the Social Audit Unit at the Prime Minister’s Office.
· Provide overall advisory and technical support on gender responsive policy formulation to the government of Timor-Leste, more specifically the Ministry of Finance and the Prime Minister’s Office, including in the following areas:
o Fiscal Policy Reform, including budgeting, tracking expenditure and use of social audit, and revenue
o Civil service reform, including integrating zero tolerance to violence against women into human resources reform, institutionalizing women’s leadership programme, temporary special measures on recruitment of women
· Support the implementation of the Fragility assessment, and ensure full inclusion of women’s organizations and gender equality advocates, as well as gender sensitive analysis and reporting.
· Provide training on social/gender inclusive training to different stakeholders as appropriate, with the purpose to improve transparent and accountable gender responsive government practices.
· Support the coordination between the relevant stakeholders, especially with SEM.
4. Duration of the assignment
The total duration of the contract will be for a total 120 working days between 15th of August 2015 and 15th of August 2016. Travel in the district can be required.
5. Key Deliverables
The assignment deliverables shall be:
# Deliverables Approximate number of Days Deadline
1 A first progress report outlining the provided advisory services, capacity development and advocacy events implemented during the period August – October 2015 submitted
30 By 15th November 2015
2 The second progress report outlining the provided advisory services, capacity development and advocacy events implemented during the period November 2015– January 2016 submitted
30 By 15th of February 2016
3 The third progress report outlining the provided advisory services, capacity development and advocacy events implemented during the period February – April 2016 submitted
30 By 15th of May 2016
4 The final progress report outlining the provided advisory services, capacity development and advocacy events implemented during the period May- July 2016 submitted.
30 By 15th of August 2016
All the documents, including reports, questionnaires, presentations and reports should be submitted in English language.
Upon receipt of the deliverables and prior to the payment of the instalments the deliverables related reports and documents will be reviewed and approved by UN Women. The period of the review is one week after receipt.
– UN Women will provide the Consultant with office space in Dili, background materials for the desk review.
– UN Women will provide transportation to the district if required and upon approval of the Country representative.
– UN Women will cover Daily Subsistence Allowance to cover for expenses outside of the Duty Station when applicable
7. Performance evaluation:
Contractor’s performance will be evaluated against such criteria as: timeliness, responsibility, initiative, communication, accuracy, and quality of the products delivered.
8. Required skills and experience
Master/Bachelor Degree in Economics, Political Science, Gender and Development or other relevant field.
- At least Master with 7 years or Bachelor with 10 years of experience of work on gender equality, women’s rights and economic development.
- Proven experience in producing gender analysis of Government Plans and Budgets
- Proven experience in capacity development of government organizations and Civil Society Organizations, preferable on Gender Equality, gender mainstreaming and Gender Responsive Budgeting.
- Experience with facilitation of high-level dialogues, trainings, consultations, including with government counterparts.
Language and other skills:
· Proficiency in oral and written English and Tetum languages, knowledge of Portuguese is an advantage.
· Computer literacy and ability to effectively use office technology equipment, IT tools, ability to use Internet and email.
9. Submission of application
Interested candidates are requested to submit electronic application to email@example.com and
firstname.lastname@example.org not later than 2 August 2015 COB.
- Letter of Interest containing the statement on candidate’s experience in the field of recruitment
- Financial proposal. The financial proposal shall specify a total lump sum amount breaking down a daily professional fee.
All applications must include (as an attachment) the CV, letter of interest and the financial proposal. Applications without financial proposal will be treated as incomplete and will not be considered for further assessment.
Please note that only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Applications will be evaluated based on the Cumulative analysis.
- Technical Qualification (100 points) weight; [70%]
- Financial Proposal (100 points) weight; [30%]
A two-stage procedure is utilised in evaluating the proposals, with evaluation of the technical proposal being completed prior to any price proposal being compared. Only the price proposal of the candidates who passed the minimum technical score of 70% of the obtainable score of 100 points in the technical qualification evaluation will be evaluated.
Technical qualification evaluation criteria:
The total number of points allocated for the technical qualification component is 100. The technical qualification of the individual is evaluated based on following technical qualification evaluation criteria:
Technical Evaluation Criteria Obtainable Score
Education 20 %
Experience and skills 60 %
Language and other skills 20 %
Total Obtainable Score 100 %
Only the candidates who have attained a minimum of 70% of total points will be considered as technically-qualified candidate.
Financial/Price Proposal evaluation:
- Only the financial proposal of candidates who have attained a minimum of 70% score in the technical evaluation will be considered and evaluated.
- The total number of points allocated for the price component is 100.
- The maximum number of points will be allotted to the lowest price proposal that is opened/ evaluated and compared among those technical qualified candidates who have attained a minimum of 70% score in the technical evaluation. All other price proposals will receive points in inverse proportion to the lowest price.