Catalpa International — www.catalpa.io — is a nonprofit design and innovation organisation that builds amazing things to assist governments, NGOs, communities and donors to make decisions to improve the delivery of aid and services. We work across a number of sectors, including health, agriculture, finance, governance, mobile services and advocacy. Catalpa combines innovative technologies with projects that improve the lives of individuals.
Catalpa’s work has included partnerships with the Government of Timor-Leste, the Government of Myanmar, the Australian Government and development partners such as ILO, FAO, UNICEF, WHO, USAID, European Commission, World Bank and the Asian Development Bank.
The Project Manager will join the Catalpa team in an exciting phase of growth. You’ll be joining a talented interdisciplinary team, with a strong creative culture, and help us deliver high impact work that seeks to address international development challenges.
You will be working on some really innovative projects, such as the Liga Inan project (www.ligainan.org), the first mHealth project in Timor-Leste, which uses mobile phones to strengthen the relationship between pregnant women and health providers in an effort to reduce maternal and infant mortality. Liga Inan is currently implemented in three of Timor-Leste’s thirteen districts and will be scaled-up nationally over the next three years with funding from the Australian Government. There will be opportunities to work on other health projects as well.
As a Project Manager you will be primarily responsible for the Liga Inan mHealth project but there will be other interesting projects to work on as well. Your role will include:
- Managing and co-ordinating implementation of projects including the Liga Inan project, with key partners including the Timor-Leste Ministry of Health and Health Alliance International;
- Working closely with project partners and our own group of software engineers to plan and design new functions and tools to enhance the Liga Inan service;
- Leading the development of project documents, user support and training materials;
- Generating and sharing information about our projects with a variety of audiences including our small but growing number of devoted followers on social media;
- Supporting project monitoring and evaluation activities alongside our M&E consultant;
- Representing us at meetings and events in relation to Liga Inan;
- Managing the relationship with the Mobile Network Providers who support us.
OTHER DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Participating in design workshops and training programs;
- Supervising support staff;
- Conducting innovative research and contributing to our business development activities;
- Contributing to knowledge management and tools within Catalpa to improve our organisation as a whole;
- Supporting strategic planning both within the projects and within the organisation.
The personal Qualities we are seeking
You are passionate about the social sector and potential of technology to address development challenges. You have played a significant role managing complex projects in the past, and you can’t wait to roll up your sleeves and do it again for an organisation with huge ambitions. You know how to get things done, and you know how to make decisions that are good for the organisation, its strategy, its impact, its people and its sustainability. Balancing multiple projects and prioritising your time comes naturally to you. Other qualities we are seeking:
- You have excellent management skills including the ability to inspire, motivate, influence, and hold colleagues accountable to high standards (ideally with some experience with creative talent);
- You are flexible and have the ability to work in challenging and rapidly changing environments;
- You can work on several projects at the same time and manage to keep all the balls in the air;
- You consistently do great work and have an eye for detail and quality;
- You see the value in capacity building and mentoring and are willing to spend time developing skills in others;
- You are passionate about how technology can be used to achieve great development outcomes;
- You speak / read / write English fluently;
- You are happy to travel outside of the capital, Dili, to see our projects on the ground.
The professional criteria we are seeking
- Demonstrated experience implementing and managing complex programs in a development setting, preferably in the health sector;
- Experience managing and working with small, interdisciplinary and cross-cultural teams;
- An innovative and dynamic approach to project management and design;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including negotiation skills. (Samples of work should be provided);
- A Bachelor’s degree or higher in a relevant field (such as health or project management), or equivalent skills & experience;
- Proficiency in written and spoken English.
- A strong understanding of human-centred design principles and processes;
- Proficiency in Tetum;
- Prior experience working on Australian Government funded projects;
- Experience working in Timor-Leste;
- Prior experience managing partnerships.
Terms and Conditions
While working with us you must comply with our policies and those of our donors, including Australian Government Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade policies. We have policies relating to Child Protection, Social Inclusion, Gender Equality, Fraud and Risk as well as others. Failure to adhere to these policies may be grounds for immediate termination.
If you’re interested, we’d love to hear from you! Women are especially encouraged to apply.
Please note this is an ongoing Timor Leste based position, with an expected start in September 2015. Housing and relocation allowance is not provided as part of this position.
Please send your application by email to email@example.com with a cover letter, CV and a statement of claims against the professional criteria. The statement of claims should be no longer than 3 pages.
Applications close on 31 July 2015.
A few things to note:
- We can only accept applications by email. If it takes us a while to respond we’re apologise in advance and we will eventually get back to you to let you know whether you’ve made it through to the next stage;
- If you can, send your cover letter, CV and statements of claims against the professional criteria as a single PDF document;
- Please don’t include copies of certificates or qualifications with your application, if we need these we’ll ask you for them later.
For further enquiries or questions regarding this position, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Project Manager (Health)’ in the subject line of the email.