International Labour Organization
Roads for Development Program (R4D)
(UN Salary Scale GS, step 4, 5 or 6 – depending on qualifications and experience)
Duty Station: Dili
Duration and Starting Date: The position is initially for 12 months with a scheduled starting date of 1st January 2016. Subject to performance and funding availability there may be a possibility of extension.
R4D is the Government of Timor Leste’s leading national Rural Roads Development and Capacity Building Program, implemented through the Ministry of Public Works, Transport and Communications. R4D receives financial support from the Australian Government and technical assistance from ILO. R4D rehabilitation and maintenance projects are implemented using labour-based work methods and technologies.
As part of its technical assistance to MPWTC, the ILO-R4D team also provides ICT support. This includes the development and rolling out of a contract management system for the Ministry and general ICT support, including help-desk support. To strengthen its ICT technical assistance to MPWTC, ILO is looking for qualified Timorese candidates for the position of ICT Assistant. He/she will be work under the direct supervision of the ILO’s International Database/ICT Specialist and will be responsible for various routine ICT activities.
Applicants should have at a completed technical high school education in a relevant field and a minimum of 4 years relevant work experience. The position requires occasional travel to the Districts. Candidates require a good command of English in speaking and writing. Candidates are strongly advised to collect the detailed Job Description from ILO-Dili (contact details, see below) before applying.
Interested candidates are invited to send their application letter, their updated CV and the names and positions of at least three reference not later than 20 November 2015 5 pm Dili time to Ms. Elvia Mesquita (email@example.com) with cc to Mr. Antonio Indart Junior (firstname.lastname@example.org). Alternatively, applications can be sent in a sealed envelope marked with ‘Application for R4D ICT Position’ to: ILO Office, Obrigado Barracks, Caicoli, Dili, Timor Leste. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview and a written test. The detailed Job Description for the position can be requested from Ms Elvia Mesquita (email@example.com)
Organisational Unit/Department: ASIA/CO Indonesia & Timor-Leste Jakarta
Technical Responsible Unit/Department: Emp/Invest
Technical Cooperation Programme: Roads for Development Program (R4D)
Centralised or Decentralised Project: Decentralised Project
Position (Title): ICT Assistant (one position)
Proposed grade (to be confirmed by HRD): GS 4, 5 or 6, depending on qualifications, experience
Duty Station (in Timor-Leste) Dili – occasionally travel to Districts required
Type of contract (SST, ST or FT): Fixed Term
Source of funding (TC, PSI or RBSA): TC
Starting date: 1 January 2016
The Roads for Development Program (R4D) has been designed as the main donor-funded program to support rural roads development and maintenance in Timor-Leste. R4D is implemented by the Ministry of Public Works, Transport and Communications (MPWTC) and receives technical assistance from the International Labour Organization. Financial support to R4D is provided by the Australian Government. The Directorate of Roads, Bridges and Flood Control (DRBFC) of MPWTC is the direct counterpart for the implementation of R4D The Program started in March 2012 and its current first phase ends in December 2016. R4D works in all 12 Municipalities (former Districts) of Timor-Leste and in the enclave of Oecusse (in Oecusse R4D activities will be discontinued from 1st July 2016 onwards).
The development objective of R4D is that women and men in rural Timor-Leste are deriving social and economic benefits from improved road access. Its immediate objective is that GoTL and local civil works contractors are more effectively planning, budgeting and managing rural road works, using labour based methods where appropriate.
These objectives are pursued through a strategy that combines direct investments in road works with capacity building of the involved Government Agencies – in particular MPWTC – and local civil works contractors. The implementation of R4D’s capacity building activities are guided by an Institutional Capacity Development Framework & Plan for both MPWTC staff and local civil works contractors.
R4D’s ILO Technical Assistance team (12 international staff and 30 national staff) is working in an embedded way, i.e. integrated within the structure of MPWTC. Training of MPWTC staff, local contractors and other concerned Government stakeholders is an important element in R4D’s capacity building work and providing training is integrated in the job descriptions of all the ILO-R4D staff.
As part of its technical assistance to MPWTC, the ILO-R4D team also provides ITC support. This includes the development and rolling out of a contract management system for the Ministry and general IT support, including help-desk support.
2. Overall Responsibilities and Reporting Lines:
The ICT Assistant will work under the direct supervision of the ILO R4D Database Specialist and the overall supervision of the ILO R4D Chief Technical Advisor. He/she will be responsible to undertake ITC support activities as instructed by his/her daily supervisor.
3. Main Duties and Responsibilities:
· Provide IT support to the DRBFC and ILO-R4D Offices at Rai Kotuk, and other MPWTC Offices as and when required
· Coordinate the configuration and implementation of the official email accounts for MPW staff
· Assist with the procurement of ICT hardware and software
· Provide training to users on software used at MPWTC
· Ensure the proper functioning of servers, local network and user PC’s, primarily at R4D but expanding where necessary to the MPWTC
· Ensure anti-virus software is fully updated and provide support in ensuring that security policies are in place
· Monitor and maintain ICT backup systems and databases
· Routine maintenance of ICT equipment and installation of new soft- and hardware
· Assist in the installation of commercial and in-house developed software and related upgrades
· Regular monitoring of and reporting on server processes
· Assist in trouble-shooting and monitoring of network connectivity problems
· Establish and maintain a complete inventory of software and hardware
· Maintain logs of required repairs and maintenance of IT assets
· Maintain the shared file system
· Provision of ICT support to key events
· Provide ICT helpdesk support to R4D and MPWTC as required
· Any other tasks that may be assigned by the supervisor
· Prepare technical notes and guidelines for end users
Education: Completed Technical High School Study in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Telecommunications or a related field.
Experience: At least four years of relevant experience in ICT, prior UN experience is an advantage.
Languages: Good command of English in speaking and writing. A good knowledge of Bahasa Indonesia and Portuguese is an asset.
· Demonstrated ability to in the use and installation of Windows operating systems and windows-based applications
· Excellent knowledge of the Microsoft Office package with special emphasis in spreadsheet tools (Excel).
· Ability to configure POP/IMAP email accounts
· Basic knowledge of HTML/CSS design and operation and installation of content management systems such as WordPress
· Familiarity with Linux and/or Windows server administration tools
· Experience on databases management such MS-SQL and MySQL
· Ability to configure and maintain router and network equipment
· Ability to prepare technical reports, documentation and user manuals
· Good time management.
· Ability to organize own work.
· Ability to work well with colleagues.
· Ability to obtain services from other work units inside or outside the office for completion of tasks.
Salary will be according to UN Rates for similar positions and in accordance with qualifications and experience.