JOB VACANCY – POLITICAL RESEARCH OFFICER
Interested in working in a dynamic, exciting and fast-paced team where you are valued for your skills and abilities? Do you want to gain experience in international relations and diplomacy? Are you committed to a prosperous and stable Timor-Leste? The Australian Embassy is currently looking for a motivated and qualified person to work as our Political Research Officer.
- Monitor, analyse and report on political developments in Timor-Leste.
- Write research papers on issues such as justice, recent legislation, elections, political parties and the media.
- Maintain and manage a strong network of contacts in politics and civil society.
- Attend political events and seminars in Timor-Leste and report on outcomes.
- Create programs for visiting Australian officials and accompany embassy staff on visits to the districts.
- As a member of the Embassy’s Direct Aid Program (DAP) Committee, help us select which organisations in Timor-Leste to support. Provide guidance to these organisations on the process. Prepare and follow DAP strategies and risk management procedures.
- Prepare translations of Embassy media releases and speeches in Tetun and Portuguese.
- Monitor the Timorese press, TV, radio and social media for the Ambassador and Embassy officials.
- Interpret for the Ambassador, Embassy staff or visiting VIPs at official engagements, appointments or on district visits.
- Provide back-up support to the Embassy’s Public Diplomacy and Economic Diplomacy teams.
- Thorough understanding and knowledge of Timor-Leste politics and government systems and processes and strong networks of contacts reflective of this.
- High level oral and written communication skills and excellent interpersonal and liaison skills that can be applied to build and maintain strong networks.
- Sound judgement and analytical skills and ability to translate this into written reports.
- Demonstrated initiative, motivation and flexibility including the ability to work independently in a proactive manner.
- Excellent English and Tetun (required) and Portuguese (highly desirable) including interpretation and translation skills.
- Relevant tertiary qualifications in political science, international relations and/or another related degree.
Applications – Please respond to each of the selection criteria separately, with the total response to selection criteria in English and not exceeding 2.5 pages. Please also include Curriculum Vitae in English and not exceeding 2 pages. A one page cover letter specifying which position the application is targeting should be attached. The closing date is 4:30pm Monday 9 November 2015.
Referees – Please provide the name, position, phone number and email address for two recent professional referees in your written application. Referees will be contacted for short listed applicants only.
How to apply
- The Position Description is available from the Australian Embassy’s Reception desk. It can also be found on the Australian Embassy website: www.timorleste.embassy.gov.au. The Position Description should be reviewed before you prepare your application.
- Send your application to the Australian Embassy, Rua Martires da Patria, Dili, attention to the HR Manager.
- Applications can also be lodged by email at Austemb_Dili@dfat.gov.au
Please note that only short listed candidates will be contacted. Short listed candidates will be invited to a two part interview with both written and spoken components.
Successful applicants are required to obtain a satisfactory police and medical check. All positions will involve travel Timor-Leste and may also involve limited international travel.