SENIOR PROGRAM OFFICER
Australian Volunteers International Timor-Leste
Open to Timorese Nationals ONLY
Closing Date for Application: Monday November 9th, 2015
Australian Volunteers International (AVI) is an independent not-for-profit organisation, with a head office based in Melbourne, Australia. We manage people-centred development projects and programs in a wide range of countries. Our work focuses on reducing poverty, providing health and education services, promoting human rights and gender equality, and protecting the environment.
AVI’s Timor-Leste office manages the Australian government’s Australian Volunteers for International Development (AVID) Program in Timor-Leste. It is a small office comprising a Country Director and three Program Officers
The focus of the Australian volunteer program is capacity development through placement of qualified, long term Australian volunteers within Timorese organisations. The role of the in-country program is to identify local partner organisations and together develop volunteer assignments based on the capacity development needs of the organisations. AVI then identifies and mobilised volunteers from Australia to Timor-Leste and supports the volunteers and their Timorese Host Organisations throughout the period of their assignment. In alignment with the Australian bilateral agreement with the Government of Timor-Leste, volunteers work in a range of sectors including health, education, governance, rural development and agriculture, social protection, gender and disability. The current quota is for 25 new volunteer positions each year.
AVI is currently seeking a highly motivated individual for the position of Senior Program Officer to support the Country Director in the administration and delivery of the Volunteer Program in Timor-Leste. The position will play a key representational role, and help ensure effective office operations and communications; program, partner and volunteer management and support; and risk management.
This is a full time position based in Dili, with some travel to Municipalities required. Working hours are 8:30am – 5:30pm Monday to Friday.
- Coordinating and leading program development activities
- Management and support of volunteers, employers and stakeholders
- Assist and support risk management work
- Back-up support for financial administration
- Key role in monitoring and evaluation
Key Selection Criteria
Knowledge and Experience
· Relevant formal tertiary qualification (e.g. Social Science, International Development, International Relations) or equivalent experience.
· At least 3 years work experience in international organisations in Timor-Leste, preferably in an INGO/NGO.
· Experience in office and program administration; including information management.
· Experience in facilitating workshops and information sessions.
· Understanding and commitment to development and capacity building values and to wider development issues that impact Timor-Leste.
· A high level of cross-cultural awareness and understanding of the difficulties faced by foreigners working in Timor-Leste-context.
· Knowledge of safety and security risks related to foreigners living and working in Timor-Leste, and an understanding of appropriate risk management strategies.
· Understanding and commitment to AVI’s vision and values, and a commitment to equal employment opportunity, workplace health and safety, child protection and privacy principles*
Skills and Attributes
· Strong communication skills, including the capacity to maintain good open and constructive working relationships with a wide range of stakeholders in an international context.
· Proven people management skills, coupled with an empathetic approach and the ability to effectively and efficiently respond to a diverse range of people issues.
· Excellent computer skills including use of databases, Excel and Word.
· Excellent organisational and time-management skills, including the ability to take initiative, be flexible, set priorities, meet deadlines and work independently to achieve objectives
· Ability to think critically, analyse and problem-solve.
· Ability to work independently, leading and manage projects
· Fluency in written and spoken English and Tetun, including email communication and report writing skills in English.
· Current Timor-Leste car driver’s licence preferable, willingness to learn essential.
- Competitive salary and conditions, commensurate with skills and experience, in line with standard INGO practices in Timor-Leste
- Employment conditions and benefits in compliance with RDTL law or higher
- Provision for professional development and training opportunities
Interested and qualified candidates are invited to submit applications by email to email@example.com with a Subject line of “AVI Senior Program Officer”.
Applications can also be submitted to the office of Entrega Ba in Bidau Manumata.
For important information relating to this position please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call the office of Entrega Ba on 78613816
Applications must include:
· A cover letter of interest that addresses the listed Selection Criteria
· A current Curriculum Vitae
· The names and contact details of three referees
* AVI’s Child Protection and Privacy Policies are available on our website www.australianvolunteers.com
* Appointment to this role is conditional on the successful completion of a police check within the probation period. In the situation a police check is not possible other alternatives will be discussed