TITLE: Communications Officer
LOCATION: Dili, Timor-Leste
REPORTS TO: Communications Manager
DATE DUE: March 3, 2016
START DATE: March 2016
DURATION:12 months, renewable depending on funding and performance
Counterpart International is implementing the four-year U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID)-funded Ba Distrito program. The goal of the program is to improve local government’s ability to address community needs and increase its capacity to deliver services more effectively, efficiently and sustainably. The Ba Distrito program will partner with the Government of Timor-Leste in support of its efforts to improve services at the local level by strengthening the ability of institutions such as suco councils and justice sector agencies to engage with and represent the interests of citizens at the grassroots level. The goals of the Ba Distrito program are to 1) build the capacity of suco councils to strengthen citizen participation and representation in local governance, 2) improve communication and linkages of suco councils with district administration, local GOTL line ministries and other providers of basic public services at the sub-national level; 3) improve the delivery of justice sector services by strengthening legal aid services and improving district court functionality and 4) improve the capacity of electoral management bodies to administer fair, transparent and inclusive local elections and strengthen civic participation.
The Communications Officer will report to the Communications Manager and will be responsible for supporting communications activities accross all components within the Ba Distrito project, including identifying and developing opportunities related to media and social media. Ba Distrito’s communications activities aim to improve program reach and support partner CSOs’ capability for implementing/utilizing such tools and approaches. In addition, the Communications Officer will support the communications manager in the implementation of the project’s elections component communications and outreach activities, which will be delivered both directly and through national CSO implementing partners. This position also supports the work of five electoral coordinators who will implement elections component activities in the field.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Support the Ba Distrito Communications Manager and component managers to ensure effective integration of communication strategies into program activities
- Work with the Monitoring and Evaluation team to ensure effective media monitoring and archiving of communications materials
- Research, write and distribute press releases to media, and adapt for publication on social media outlets
- Organize, produce and disseminate information (print, video and electronic), including ensuring compliance with Project’s Branding and Marking Plan
- Assist in the implementation of Ba Distrito’s local election activities including supporting the electoral coordinators and liasing with STAE and CNE coordinators at the sub-national level
- Coordinate the set-up of various events organized and attended by the project, such as key activities (i.e., launch of project, advocacy events, etc.) and USAID annual expo
- Provide capacity building support to local media including community radio and print journalists to help them better understand and report on technical aspects of decentralization, local governance, access to justice and election
- Coordinate the implementation of Ba Distrito’s monthly radio community radio show
- Manage information dissemination, networking and outreach activities such as: media design, multi-media and publications, collaborating with component management and staff
- Other duties as required at the direction of the Communications Manager
- A Bachelor’s degree in communication, marketing or any other relevant field
- Three years of proven experience in the public communication area
- Strong writing skills with experience in writing media releases, and website content
Skills in design, multimedia and photo editing (desirable)
- Excellent public relations skills
- English and Tetum fluency required. Knowledge of Portuguese and/or Bahasa Indonesia is preferred.
Please submit a CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org referencing the job title USAID Ba Distrito: Communication Officer in the subject line. The deadline for applications is the close of business on March 3,2016.
Counterpart International is a global development organization that empowers people and communities to implement innovative and enduring solutions to social, economic, and environmental challenges. For 50 years, Counterpart has been forging partnerships with communities in need to address complex problems related to economic development, food security and nutrition, and building effective governance and institutions. For more information visitwww.Counterpart.org