Cookstove Project Officer: “Sparking Change”
Mercy Corps is a leading global humanitarian agency with a network of experienced professionals in more than 43 countries. We partner with local communities to put bold ideas into action to help people recover, overcome hardship and build better lives. In Timor-Leste, Mercy Corps is working to ensure a stable supply of food, better nutrition and higher incomes for mainly rural, resource poor households. We work with farmers, the private sector, relevant Ministries and a range of local and international partners to achieve high impact market driven outcomes.
In September 2013 Mercy Corps began implementing the ‘Sparking Change’ programme, aimed at catalysing a shift towards cleaner, more efficient and healthier cooking technologies. This involves supporting the recently established Timor-Leste Cookstove Testing and Knowledge Centre (TL-CTKC) located at DIT, and establishing a network of small-scale cookstove manufacturers and retailers. The program also works closely with key government ministries, supporting their own cookstove initiatives.
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
The Cookstove Project Officer (PO) will be responsible for the implementation and oversight of project activities as detailed in the project document. The PO will have a particular focus on working with and ensuring the engagement of staff at the TL-CTKC, and in coordination with relevant government ministries (Forestry; Environment; Health). Based in Dili, this position will work closely with the network of micro-businesses producing and retailing cookstoves in Dili and in District towns.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Support TL-CTKC staff at DIT with testing, design and training on clean cookstoves
- Support the small cookstove businesses that are producing and retailing cookstoves, including production guidance and business and marketing advice
- Coordinate and support key government ministries as they design and implement their own cookstove initiatives
- control of clean cookstoves being used by households
- Help to build and maintain strong relationships with government bodies / individuals involved in cclean cookstove (including government and civil society organisations)
- Participate in designing marketing and awareness-raising strategies to promote uptake of clean coookstove in Timor-Leste
- Assist on the selection and training for new businesses to become cookstove manufacturers
- Contribute to Mercy Corps efforts to disseminate information on the programme, including reporting, documentation of best-practice, presentations at appropriate meetings etc
- Other duties as assigned
REPORTS DIRECTLY TO: Cooktstove Project Manager
WORKS DIRECTLY WITH: Marketing team; DME unit; Finance; Operations
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- Three or more years of project implementation experience, at Officer level or above preferably with INGOs or international agencies
- A university degree (under graduate) in business, technology or related discipline
- A commitment to and understanding of the needs of small business
- Experience working with a range of partnerships including government representation
- Strong organizational skills
- Excellent oral and written English skills
- Willingness to travel regularly to rural areas
- Excellent team player
The ability to interact effectively with international and national personnel is required. A demonstrated ability to multi-task, meet deadlines and work within a larger team is essential. The successful candidate will be expected to perform to a high professional standard as well as demonstrate the willingness to adapt and learn within a creative working environment. .
Interested applicant can send CV and Cover Letter no later than Friday, February 19th 2016 to email firstname.lastname@example.org or send it directly to Mercy Corps office at Rua de Travesa (next to NCBA/CCT Clinic), Bidau – Lecidere, Dili