|Job title||PROGRAM COORDINATION AND OPERATIONAL SUPPORT|
|Type of Contract||Short-Term Technical Assistance Contract|
|Language(s) required||English required. Tetum highly preferred.|
|Duration of the contract||10 months (extendable depending on funding)|
Counterpart International is seeking a consultant to provide ongoing programmatic and operational support to the Ba Distrito project. The project, which will run until September 2017 has the goal of improving local government’s ability to address community needs and increase its capacity to deliver services more effectively, efficiently and sustainably. The Ba Distrito project is a four-year project funded by the American People through the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) aimed at improving local governance and increasing access to justice in Timor-Leste. It consists of five components which include strengthening: (a) local governance, (b) decentralization and input of local institutions, (c) legal aid organizational sustainability; (d) district court functionality (e) election management bodies to conduct transparent, inclusive and fair elections and increase civic participation. Ba Distrito is supporting the Ministry of Justice (MOJ) and the Ministry of State Administration (MSA) in increasing both institutional and human capacity at district levels in order to deliver basic services effectively and in a manner that is responsive to citizen needs and expectations.
Recently Ba Distrito was awarded additional funds to implement activities to support the upcoming suco elections. In particular Ba Distrito will be working to strengthen the capacity of the national electoral management bodies (the Technical Secretariat for Electoral Administration “STAE” and the National Electoral Commission “CNE”) to engage citizens in the electoral process and through grants will support local organizations to engage women, youth and people with disabilities in the electoral process.
The Program Coordination and Operational Support Consultant will provide additional support to the project’s Chief of Party to ensure the smooth and timely start-up of the electoral activities and the simultaneous quality implementation of the other project components. The Consultant will provide operational support in the area of procurement, administration, human resources, and grants. In addition s/he will assist the Chief of Party (COP) with program coordination and management, monitoring and evaluation, and donor reporting; providing technical expertise as required.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support the Chief of Party in the overall coordination of the project’s activities, with a focus on operational support needed to ensure timely delivery.
- Provide technical support to component managers as needed in the areas of organizational capacity development, local governance and decentralization, civic participation in local elections, and communications.
- Provide technical support to the project’s operations team to ensure quality of documentation and compliance with Counterpart’s policies/procedures, GOTL and USAID rules/regulations, particularly with respect to procurement, grant management and human resources.
- Support effective coordination of project activities, ensuring better efficiency, advance planning and leveraging opportunities between thematic and technical components.
- Support the project to use results of monitoring & evaluation to make informed and timely decisions about program direction.
- Assume primary responsibility for all donor reporting, including compilation of the project’s FY17 Workplan as well as quarterly and monthly workplans for components; revisions to the PMEP; preparation and submission of detailed quarterly reports in collaboration with the project’s management team; and any other form of reporting.
- Provide mentoring and professional development support to project staff, with emphasis on building capacity of staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in related area; master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum of 7 years of relevant professional experience, including management experience.
- Excellent organizational, analytical, and written communications skills.
- Demonstrated skills in effectively working and/or collaborating with government structures, senior government officials, civil society actors, other donors and US government projects.
- Excellent coordination skills.
- Experienced in operations, program management, capacity building.
- Demonstrated leadership, management, decision-making and interpersonal skills.
- Technical knowledge of organizational capacity development, local governance, decentralization, elections and/or access to justice preferred.
- Demonstrated commitment to gender integration.
- Prior experience with a donor-funded grant program highly preferred.
- Professional spoken and written fluency in English required. Tetum language skills an asset.
- Excellent attention to detail required.
- Prior experience on a USAID project highly regarded.
Individuals interested in applying for this consultancy should send (1) CV, (2) cover letter and (3) completed USAID Biodata form found here to Timor-Leste.firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications close at 5:30p.m. local time on April 15, 2016.
Candidates already based in Timor-Leste are encouraged to apply as this consultancy does not include international travel.
“Counterpart International is an equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities, veterans and the physically challenged are encouraged to apply.”
Counterpart International is a global development organization that empowers people and communities to implement innovative and enduring solutions to social, economic, and environmental challenges. For nearly 50 years, Counterpart has been forging partnerships with communities in need to address complex problems related to economic development, food security and nutrition, and building effective governance and institutions. For more information visit www.Counterpart.org